PDA

View Full Version : Spoiled Fish

stiver james
03-10-2006, 11:36 PM
I have some of my fish spoiled on cbw. Yes, despite the warnings from everyone on this website to feed sparingly. How do you undo this? If I were to guess you would probably not feed your fish for a day or so and then start them back on fbw, brine shrimp etc. My fish do not like the frozen beefheart. I think this was do to the way I prepared it. I put to much garlic in it. Well then I went out and bought some fbh from a local fish store and they still won't eat it. Is not feeding the fish for a day or so the right approach to get them to start eating different types of food? Does feeding them only one or two types of food really that bad for them? Can someone give me a good menu of what they feed their discus on a daily basis? How do I get my fish to eat it. Thanks, Jim

Jarrod
03-11-2006, 12:01 AM
Jim...I made my own BH from Carol's recipe posted on here and feed that as well..mine happen to love it even tho when I got them from the breeder they had never eaten it before. My feeding kinda goes like this...early AM A cube of Hikari FBS..then a bit of Omega One Flake food,let them go for a couple 3 hrs then a bit of the Hikari FBW..let them work that over real well then vac up any excess and any feces and other food they have missed to clean up bottom. Let them go a bit longer with nothing then some of the fbh mix let them work it over as much as they want and watch them...when they lose interest or quit eating I do a good wc normally between about 30-75% but normally a 50% gets it done for me...after the wc I let them kinda kick back and do their fish type thing of swimming around and relax...then before lights out on their tank I drop another bit of flake food in and watch them come up and nibble and then turn lights out on their tank yet leave a lite on in the room..thats my feeding routine basically along with their basic menu...I do switch what order they get their food in most days...just to vary it a bit to try and make them think hey it's not the same old stuff everyday...lol..so far it has worked really well for me...hth
Jarrod

pcsb23
03-11-2006, 07:24 AM
Jim,

You could leave them a day like you said. Alternatively make the fisrt feed of the day BH, be pesistant and don't put too much in to start as it could foul the water. They are hungiest first thing!

I feed the following, in no particular order
BH
FBW
Tetra Prima (Colour bits in the USA)
Ocean Nutrition formula 1 & 2 (Marine fish food but they love it)
Mysis shrimp & brine shrimp (both frozen)
Frozen marine mix
Occaisionally when I can get them white worms
occaisionally garden or red worms.

I don't feed this every day, sort of mix it up a bit.

chago09
03-14-2006, 11:45 AM
I don't bother with bh so what I do is feed FBW(hikari), freeze dried bloodworms(hikari or omega 1 both great), and thats all they were eating before but now after doing some starvation LOL I got them eating a few other things like omega 1 super color flakes and very rarely tetra bits. When I run out of FBW not only am i gonna buy more FBW but I'm gonna try getting them to eat some FBS aswell, it's supposed to be good for the muffler;)