PDA

View Full Version : Fry Dying Help!

lora
03-14-2006, 05:19 PM
I have about 30 fry that are 3 weeks old. They are in a 58g bb tank with Dad. In the last 4 days or so, a few of the fry have died. They were very small so I wasn't too concerned. Now, some of the bigger ones are not looking good. They lay on their side on the bottom for a while, then they swim around normally, then go back to the bottom a lay on their sides. I tested the water and it is fine, I do change at least 25 percent of the water daily, more if needed, wipe down the sides daily and keep excess food off the bottom. I am using a Penguin 280 filter. They eat mostly frozen bbs and first bites. Can anyone shed some light as to what they think the problem might be? Is this common with young fry? Please help, Lora.

pcsb23
03-14-2006, 05:40 PM
Lora,
Typically this is normally gill flukes, prazi, formalin or formalin/malachite green work. Watch your bio filter if using formalin/malachite green

03-14-2006, 05:55 PM
For future reference I would suggest doing 2 changes of water daily, maybe 50% or more each time. The more you feed the more you change.

lauren0626
03-15-2006, 02:34 PM
Hi Paul,
This might sounds silly, but how do you watch your bio filter?
Thanks,

White Worm
03-15-2006, 02:45 PM
Certain meds or chemicals kill your bio filter (good bacteria). He was using it as a figure of speech, lol. Check ammonia, nitrites and nitrates and stay on top of wc's if you use any meds. Lots of air (surface agitation) also because some meds deplete oxygen.

hexed
03-15-2006, 03:11 PM
I agree with Paul. You might want to put a sponge on the intake tube of your filter. They might be getting caught against and and fight to get freed.
HTH
Frank

Carol_Roberts
03-15-2006, 05:25 PM
Either gill flukes or bacterial gill disease. Try formalin first - 1 cc or ml per 10 gallons, wait 8 hrs, do 50% WC. If they look better repeat every three days for a week or so

pcsb23
03-15-2006, 05:48 PM
Certain meds or chemicals kill your bio filter (good bacteria). He was using it as a figure of speech, lol. Check ammonia, nitrites and nitrates and stay on top of wc's if you use any meds. Lots of air (surface agitation) also because some meds deplete oxygen.
Thanks Mike.

Green Country Discus
03-15-2006, 09:52 PM
Lora, you are getting great advice. Do make sure that you are keeping the filter pads on your BF real clean (daily) or the waste will leach into the tank you just did a WC on. Works the same with a sponge with small fry. I think most do not clean their filter material often enough or well enough. Hope this helps.

lora
03-15-2006, 10:14 PM
Thanks for all the great advice, I am still losing fry, I just did a water change and there was 1 dead, and there are three more at the bottom on their sides. I looked at the dead one under a 30x magnifying glass, but didn't see anything out of the ordinary, not that I would know what to look for anyway. I went to 3 lsf stores today, and could not find any formalin. The only thing I could find was a Jungle product called Parasite Clear. I added it to the tank this afternoon. I also took Dad out to reduce pollution in the tank. The fry are eating well on their own, so I figured it was time for him to have a much deserved rest. This has really got me down, I thought I was doing so well. I really have to hand it to the Discus breeders out there. It is hard work raising healthy fry.

trident2001
03-15-2006, 11:08 PM
Please let me know your water parameters and how you treat your water. Let me know the TDS and the pH.
Try one thing use Octazin of Waterlife company. They are tablets and so not medicate 48 hours before using Octazin. Crush the tablet very well and then dissolve in water in a mug and pour it into the tank. Next day siphon off only 30% water and repeat the dose. Do this for three days and don't siphon for a week. Put off the filter during treatment. Feed sparcely.

kaceyo
03-15-2006, 11:49 PM
Lora,
The Parasite Clear has prazi in it and might take care of the problem. If It's working you should know within 24hrs when the fry stop dying. If that happens treat them at least one more time 48hrs after the first dose and again 48hrs after that. This is a very common problem with fries at that age so don't blame yourself too much. You might also check to make sure they aren't bloated which also can happen easily at that age.
Good Luck,

Kacey

lora
03-16-2006, 04:01 PM
Thanks Kacey. I did go out today and get some Life Bearer and PraziPro, for future emergencies. I think the medication is working, they seem better but time will tell. I suspect the problem is gill flukes, because some of them are rubbing their heads on the bottom of the tank.

kaceyo
03-16-2006, 05:03 PM
lora,
Glad it's working. The Life Bearer is a very good and very strong med. I don't know if it's OK for juvies though. Both Life Bearer and prazi are safe for your biofilter too. A definite plus.

Kacey