PDA

View Full Version : Feeding schedule

Riche_guy
03-14-2006, 05:23 PM
I've just purchased 7 1.5" pigeon discus last weekend. I'm feeding 3 times a day a mixture of Flake frenzy and Hikari Blood worms. Can you tell me if this is okay or should I add other foods more or less often?????

Also I have 2 Red Turquois that are 3 to 4" and I am feeding them Colour Bits and Red Blood worms twice a day. Should I add more variety and increase feeding??

Thanks.

White Worm
03-14-2006, 05:51 PM
For the little guys, you may want to up the number of feedings. Important growth time at that age and size. They are little eating machines, maybe 5x a day. They have little stomachs so its good they have food frequently. Most would vote for varied diet with live, frozen and dried foods. Provides optimum growth and health. Plus.....they wont get locked on one type of food. Some of my older ones will only eat certain foods. They get picky in their old age especially if you spoil them and give them what they really like. Cant go wrong with fbw for discus. They love em. Mike

Riche_guy
03-14-2006, 05:58 PM
For the little guys, you may want to up the number of feedings. Important growth time at that age and size. They are little eating machines, maybe 5x a day. They have little stomachs so its good they have food frequently. Most would vote for varied diet with live, frozen and dried foods. Provides optimum growth and health. Plus.....they wont get locked on one type of food. Some of my older ones will only eat certain foods. They get picky in their old age especially if you spoil them and give them what they really like. Cant go wrong with fbw for discus. They love em. Mike

Have about the older guys?

White Worm
03-14-2006, 06:04 PM
Frequency is fine for adults because they are out of that growth spurt stage, you may want to feed 3-5 x until they get to 5-6inch (adults). Some here prefer wide range and varied diet for all discus but I prefer to feed frozen and dry foods because its easier, healthy, pre-prepared and less time consuming. If you were considering breeding then you would want to seriously consider varied live, frozen and dried foods. It really depends on age more than size. A 3 inch discus that is a year old wont grow huge no matter how much you feed it. Some of the real experts will be around shortly for further advice.

RyanH
03-14-2006, 06:59 PM
You've been given good advice.

If you find it difficult to feed 5-6 times per day, an autofeeder can be a real life saver. I fill them with crushed flake and run them on my juvenile tanks during the day when I'm not home.

In the morning and at night, I feed them Colorbits, bloodworms, and beefheart.

hth
-Ryan

lkleung007
03-14-2006, 06:59 PM
Hi,

Mike has given some very good advice. Personally I like to feed young juveniles 4-5 times a day. I would also use a varied diet...flake food, tetrabits, mysis shrimp, frozen BW + brine shrimp (Hikari), and of course BH mix. Make sure you keep up with your water changes with that kind of feeding schedule.

For older Discs, I tend to feed 3 times a day. Again with a varied diet as above. With slower growth (remember Discus continue to grow for 2+ years) and fewer feedings, you can usually get by with less frequent water changes depending on how many Discus you have in the tank.

HTH, Lester

trusty
03-15-2006, 05:52 AM
i go six a day for sure buddy, i feed beefheart,bloodworms, brineshrimp, live red worms tetra bits... its good for them.

Riche_guy
03-15-2006, 06:52 AM
Thanks Guys!!

Riche_guy
03-16-2006, 06:57 AM
i go six a day for sure buddy, i feed beefheart,bloodworms, brineshrimp, live red worms tetra bits... its good for them.

You feed six times a day??

DiscusinDaytona
03-17-2006, 12:10 PM
I feed my juves 6x day on weekends but not enough time during week. Only 4-5.

Tina

Riche_guy
03-17-2006, 12:14 PM
I feed my juves 6x day on weekends but not enough time during week. Only 4-5.

Tina

Either you must make an effort to stay at home or you have an auto feeder.

White Worm
03-17-2006, 05:46 PM
Those of us with day jobs must use auto. I personally feed in the a.m before work, auto during the day and personally through the evenings. Lights out around 1130 and they sleep through the night.

Jarrod
03-17-2006, 06:32 PM
I feed on the average of about 4-6 times a day as well..but I also limit the amount and type of food I put in at any given time. Since I am at home virtually 24/7 (totally disabled medically) I can feed this much and get the wc's done on a regular basis..but the upside of it is I get to sit and watch them all the time and see them growing and thriving.
Jarrod

wheeler
04-02-2006, 02:09 AM
Those of us with day jobs must use auto. I personally feed in the a.m before work, auto during the day and personally through the evenings. Lights out around 1130 and they sleep through the night.

hey Mikscus, they don't get you up through the night becuse they need to use the bathroom??? good training...haha.