PDA

View Full Version : Curipuras in Canada?

Jason
03-14-2006, 11:41 PM
I met someone yesterday who has 2 nice curipura reds, had 2 after I left :)
anyways he paid $400.00cad each for 4" size when he bought them and insists there is only 4 specimens existing in Canada.

Who has curipuras or knows somebody that does and what did you pay for them?

I know Jim Sheddon has one and paid $75, who else?

thanks

jesse
03-14-2006, 11:51 PM
Hello,

I have some very nice ones in Montreal, but sorry, I won't sell them!
But if I'm able to breed them, no problem!

I got them from Oliver at Belowwater.com
He is the best for Curipera (and other Wild Discus) and a very nice guy.
mmmmh, maybe that's Oliver you met..

Jess

April
03-16-2006, 03:30 AM
well no..he met my friend here in vancouver. and yes those ones came from oliver originally for 400 for 4 inch size. and now they are swimming in jasons tank. so he doesnt need more..hes just curious who has some..and how much they are going for now. or before.
cause we heard my friend was very fortunate to get those ones..as only 4 people in canada have them.

brewmaster15
03-16-2006, 06:24 AM
Well that didn't take you long Jason:D
I'm waiting on photos and a pm as to how things are going at the new
place:) hint hint;) :)

-al

jim_shedden
03-16-2006, 03:38 PM
Jason:
Bob Garside of Upper Canada Discus has a handful. Not sure where he got them or for how much. If I am not mistaken, they were from Oliver.

Jim

jim_shedden
03-16-2006, 03:39 PM
Jimmy L also has some

jim

Jason
03-16-2006, 04:11 PM
nice fish I like them, just $400ea for 4" fish and so rare only 4 people in Canada has seemed a little ridiculous

turkis
03-16-2006, 04:11 PM
Jason:
Bob Garside of Upper Canada Discus has a handful. Not sure where he got them or for how much. If I am not mistaken, they were from Oliver.

Jim

Bob Garside bought some Curiperas a few years ago from Oliver and he bred them, I was interested in purchasing some a few years back but he wasn't selling them. Oliver was selling the Curiperas for $250.00 Can. about 3 years ago.
Mario

Tad
03-16-2006, 04:17 PM
Bob Garside bought some Curiperas a few years ago from Oliver and he bred them, I was interested in purchasing some a few years back but he wasn't selling them. Oliver was selling the Curiperas for $250.00 Can. about 3 years ago.
Mario

I used to have pictures that Bob sent me by email of his Curipera spawn...was a nice batch ....dont know what ever happened to the spawn!....Only two people that Im aware of have successfully bred the "Curipera" in the Northern Hemisphere and that is Bob and Dennis Hardenburger

It hard to believe that only 4 people would have them in Canada...there has to be more LOL,
Tad

PS: just looked through old email...and I still have those pictures...they were an awesome pair of wilds with a extremely nice spawn...Hopefully Bob will give us an update on whatever happened to this pair and spawn...

Discusgeo2
03-16-2006, 04:26 PM
Heres an old post of them spawning and the fry Tomsky raised. He is in Germany

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=41103

Tad
03-16-2006, 04:32 PM
Thanks George,
That was an awesome post by Tomsky...wonder whatever happened to him?....The photos are incredible!!!!!!!!!!

Tad

Discusgeo2
03-16-2006, 04:39 PM
Here is another link from 2003, the pictures are gone but the discussion is good reading on wild location
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=28702

chago09
03-23-2006, 07:31 PM
ok so i guess we established he's lieing about only 4 people in canada having them because like 5 people just said they had them or knew someone who had a bunch lol

Tad
03-23-2006, 10:40 PM
IMO only Oliver could give an actual estimate of who or whom own the "Curipera" (Yes some have changed hands since originally sold), Curipera is a name he coined based upon the area/tribal region where he was able to collect these blues....Based upon the cost and limited availability I would assume that there are but a few handfuls of people in North America who own the "Curipera", many more are in Germany.

regards,
Tad

raglanroad
03-24-2006, 04:45 AM
Oliver is giving a talk on apistos and new fish in Minnesota soon. Will give more details shortly.
I'll be going to Montreal to buy plecos from him this month too, hopefully.
I could try and find out about the number of Curipera out there so far.
No way only 4 people have them here.
They are on this months list, I think. back in a flash.

Ok, the "S" class Curipera, med size, are $250, 6 @ $200

Oliver will be the keynote speaker, on the two topics, at the Minnesota Aquarium Society's 75th, this Saturday.

April
03-24-2006, 08:44 PM
Jasons progess is coming along nicely. ive been checking up to make sure hes doing it all right. lol.
i even supervised the drilling of the tanks. well..i loaned him the trickling water while he drilled.
a few weeks..and hopefully everything will be swimmingly fine. :fish: :fish:
soon i wil lhave to relinguish all the fish back to their rightful owner.

Upper Canada
04-03-2006, 09:08 PM
Hi Tad,

I grabbed some pictures this afternoon of a new pairing. I will post them now in the General section, which might be of interest to general members.

Bob Garside,

Tad
04-03-2006, 10:01 PM
Bob,
Just saw the new pair and pictures....Im glad to see Curipera "only" pairs...You have had great success with yours and as always I am impressed with your skills...I have only had two spawns with mine, but mine are with a Curipera male X with red snakeskin...Male ate the fry at one week :o

wishing You, continued success,
Tad

Upper Canada
04-03-2006, 10:12 PM
Hi Tad,

I have had 3 males and 3 females, and had all three spawn, at one point , at the same time.

One pair were excellent, but I lost the male to what I believe was a tumour near the spine, he curved around and after a few weeks died, there was nothing I could do.

The spawings got interupted when I moved the fishroom to my garage and stopped trying to breed.

It is difficult for me to get them to repair, I tried various combinations at different times, sometimes the fight too aggressively and I have to split them in order to protect the female.

I posted in the general section because I don't want to highjack the thread, I hope I haven't.

Bob