View Full Version : A Question for everyone

BobB
03-15-2006, 10:41 AM
How many of you consider yourselves
1- Strictly a Discus Hobbyist
2- A Discus Breeder
3- Both 1 and 2

03-15-2006, 10:45 AM
I would consider myself a hobbiest that aspires to be a quality discus breeder. If at some point in this hobby I could support myself with discus or hobby related things I would love to do that!

Jarrod
03-15-2006, 11:13 AM
I consider myself a hobbyist at this point...maybe sometime in the future that may change..but for the present I am perfectly content to be a hobyist.
Jarrod

Ax
03-15-2006, 11:41 AM
What is breeder? If it’s some one who can breed aquarium fish (Discus); than it’s a hobbyist to start with, just more in depth. Without being a hobbyist you will not just wakeup one day and say, I’ll be a breeder, and to make some money there are way better opportunities with much-much better $ per hour return.
My deepest respect for those of you who juggle: full time family, full time work and yet fined time to be serious hobbyist - breeding those beautiful fish to share with the rest of us here, (most of the time at unrecoverable costs – just for the love of the hobby).
Alex.

candyl70
03-15-2006, 11:49 AM
I consider myself a hobbiest. I don't plan on breeding and selling any fish right now. I am just having fun learning about them, and raising them up from little things. Maybe one day in the far off future if they have babies, so be it :D but i'll never be a big time breeder or anything like that, I don't think I would have any hair left!! lol

Audrey
03-15-2006, 12:27 PM
1- Strictly a Discus Hobbyist

Audrey

Tek
03-15-2006, 01:19 PM
I consider my self as a Discus Hobbyist for now.. I'm working to match a pair to enjoy as discus breeder

AmberC
03-15-2006, 01:27 PM
Whether I was breeding or not.. I would still consider myself a hobbiest. I keep them because I enjoy them. If I were to breed them.. it would be from enjoyment of watching nature with a plus of selling the babies. Mine spawn on a regular basis and the excitement of seeing the eggs and watching them hatch never diminishes.

Amber

candyl70
03-15-2006, 02:08 PM
Whether I was breeding or not.. I would still consider myself a hobbiest. I keep them because I enjoy them. If I were to breed them.. it would be from enjoyment of watching nature with a plus of selling the babies. Mine spawn on a regular basis and the excitement of seeing the eggs and watching them hatch never diminishes.

Well said Amber!!

tpl*co
03-15-2006, 02:14 PM
A hobbyest that is trying to get my pairs past the free swimming stage :) (breeding as a hobby, not a person that is trying to breed to make any money). I wouldn't have the time or energy right now with family and all to maintain more tanks to go bigger than that (and DH would kill me, LOL).

Now, if I get some and grow out some great snow leopards or red/whites from my pair, (or nice fish from my other pair) that would definitely be icing on the cake! :).

Tina

White Worm
03-15-2006, 02:22 PM
Me too...Me too! Just hobbiest trying to complete the whole process. If I could make a few bucks afterwards, that would help take care of the power bill, that would be all I need.

tpl*co
03-15-2006, 02:33 PM
Me too...Me too! Just hobbiest trying to complete the whole process. If I could make a few bucks afterwards, that would help take care of the power bill, that would be all I need.

Ditto and don't forget the fish food bills :).

Tina

White Worm
03-15-2006, 02:41 PM
Now I see why people want them on varied diet.....feeding only live or even frozen foods gets pretty pricey. If they will eat flakes and pellets or dried too, this will cut down on costs. I have been putting flakes and pellets in when I put the FBW's in and they will eat everything once in a while. I can trick them just a little and then they catch on and spit it out. Smart A$$ little fish! I may start soaking pellets with fbw and feed both.

AADiscus
03-15-2006, 03:50 PM
I would have to say both. Hobbiest and breeder. I love the hobby and breeding them. Breeding them is a great enjoyment. I do sell fish but it is not to make money it is for the hobby. For anyone that breeds them or are trying you will understand when you have all those little wigglers wiggling. It makes you smile and you get a great feeling knowing you have succeeded. Then you look in your community tank.....put another pair together and next thing you know you have all this fry. lol

cobaltblue
03-15-2006, 04:39 PM
Im just a hobbiest who one day hopes to breed Discus just for personal enjoyment. I will most likely give the babies away for the most part, to friends or other discus enthusiasts. So far i have only made it to free swimmer stage once, and that was only for a day. My main goal was and still is to keep healthy fish, if they have babies in the process, all the better. :)

Kweenshaker
03-15-2006, 05:05 PM
I'm an aspiring #1 lol

Doug A
03-15-2006, 05:06 PM
I'm just a hobbyist that is finally enjoying breeding discus. It would be nice to recoup some of the money spent to support the hobby. Maybe when I retire, way off in the far distant future, I will be a full time breeder. Gotta keep yourself busy doing something. Why not breed these magnificent fish instead of watching the grass grow. :)

tpl*co
03-15-2006, 05:39 PM
Now I see why people want them on varied diet.....feeding only live or even frozen foods gets pretty pricey. If they will eat flakes and pellets or dried too, this will cut down on costs. I have been putting flakes and pellets in when I put the FBW's in and they will eat everything once in a while. I can trick them just a little and then they catch on and spit it out. Smart A$$ little fish! I may start soaking pellets with fbw and feed both.

LOL, I feed a varied diet to make sure that their diet requirements are met. Even with 3-4 feedings of flake and pellet a day (rotate brands), my live CBW bill is around 8-10 a week! (now I'm also adding FBW to that too).

Gotta love them! LOL!

Tina

marilyn1998
03-15-2006, 07:27 PM
I am thinking I should be well on my way to a hobbyist. Getting back into the hobby in December with a 30 gallon tank, I am now picking up my 90 gallon and 16 discus I want to put in it! Now, if that isnt a #1 I want a puppy!

diskboy
03-15-2006, 07:42 PM
hobbiest i hope to be a breeder someday or a VET yay!!

sleonard
03-15-2006, 07:55 PM
For now, I am just hoping to be a successfull hobbiest. If I get to that point, I'll try to breed enough to make the hobby pay for itself. I could see myself breeding for profit someday as I enjoy this quite a bit but that is faaar in the future and not a serious goal.

Stillwater Aquatics
03-15-2006, 07:56 PM
my feelings are...

breeding IS part of the hobby =)

nuff said

BIGFOOT
03-15-2006, 09:53 PM
I would say for now I am a wanta bee Hobbiest. The reason I said this is because I have failed at Discus in the past. That was 10 years ago before I bought my computer. Back then all I had to learn from was books that were out dated. And now I got the best weapon to whipp this. That would be I got SIMPLY in my corner this time.:D :D :D :D

wolfbane
03-15-2006, 10:03 PM
Hobbyist, yeah. I read for 2 years before I bought my first discus. I love the fishkeeping, but don't have the room to expand to breeder status, not now. I really enjoy watching the fish interact with each other and with me. These guys are way more fun than other fish I have raised, more personality.