PDA

View Full Version : Black backgrounds

DiscusBob
03-15-2006, 06:54 PM
I've been out of the hobby for a little while so this one is new to me: I've read around and it seems like it's an accepted fact that if one has a dark background the discus will get peppered or darker. Is this a fact? Have studies been done? I have always used black backgrounds because the fish and plants appear to 'pop' more.

I'd just like to know more about this: is it only when they're growing? do they sell white backgrounds? Is this a fact or an opinion?

Just curious,

Bob

PS I'm getting a shipment from Dan at Gulf Coast Discus tomorrow...should I take down the black background?

brewmaster15
03-15-2006, 06:57 PM
Bob,
Its always been my experience that peppering is minimized against a light background. Smetimes the difference is very pronounced.

hth,
al

Timbo
03-15-2006, 09:30 PM
hi bob

i used black backgrounds on my saltwater tanks, looks quite artsy :) but having tried the same thing with discus, it becomes apparent rather quickly that discus are chamleon-like. ie- they try to blend into their background and as a result, they'll look quite dark with a black background.

most folks like their discus light n bright, so black (even tho esthetically nice for the tank) is usually soon replaced with a lighter color

hope that helps :)

AADiscus
03-15-2006, 10:31 PM
I would have to agree. The dark background will make your discus look darker and show there pepper more. IME Alot of people will paint there tanks (light colored) or put the lighter background on there. Something to think about. If you want to get an ideal for what it will look like, take your dark background off and tape up some white paper towels against the tank. See what you think.

03-16-2006, 12:19 AM
Absolutely, My Marlboro Reds have very little peppering in my painted tanks(light blue)when I moved them to another tank for the first time in a while I was shocked how much peppering showed up. Keep it white or light blue for best results!

cobaltblue
03-16-2006, 12:22 AM
Ditto. I started with black background, and had lots of peppering on my 4 pb discus. When i painted the back light blue, all peppering disappeared on 2 of them, and was minimized substancially on the other 2.

DiscusBob
03-16-2006, 12:43 AM
Interesting....so the peppering will actually lessen? I had no idea.... I will definitely put up a light background for the Gulf Coast Discus I'm receiving Thursady morning (I just checked the tracking number: they're somewhere over Tennessee on their way to New Jersey!).

Bob

CAGE-RATTLER
03-16-2006, 12:50 AM
Ive been checking out some local fish stores that carry discus just to see what they have and one i went to this past weekend had black backgrounds and dark gravel with horrible lighting and all the discus looked sickly because of it. Some tanks i had to strain to see the discus cause they were so dark.

It was a shame really cause there looked to be some nice wilds in those tanks too.

DiscusBob
03-16-2006, 05:58 PM
That being said, where would I find a light blue background? I went to Petsmart today and they only had dark or plant pictures. Wrapping paper would get wet pretty quick and I'm not in a position to paint the tank...any ideas?

CAGE-RATTLER
03-16-2006, 06:05 PM
That being said, where would I find a light blue background? I went to Petsmart today and they only had dark or plant pictures. Wrapping paper would get wet pretty quick and I'm not in a position to paint the tank...any ideas?

Most just use paint or the light blue strofoam insulation sheets you can get at lowes.

Jarrod
03-16-2006, 06:06 PM
You may try an art supply store...they have postrer board in all colors.. that or what they call foamcore board...which is basically poster board that has a very thin layer of foam between it...used for all kinds of stuff...one other advantage of the foamcore board is that it will double as an insulating material as well around your tank hth
Jarrod

Kweenshaker
03-16-2006, 07:47 PM
did you look at the back? I have a background that is black on one side and bright blue on the other.

DiscusBob
03-16-2006, 10:45 PM
Yeah, the back is 'scenery' (bleah!), but I like the idea of using the insulation foam...I'll check it out. There's a Home Depot near me...what dept.? The one with sheetrock, drywall, etc?