PDA

View Full Version : okay, my new plan

dax29
03-18-2006, 10:44 PM
Well I've decided to keep only 7 discus in a 75 gallon bottom tank at home (not at work). I feel it wil be easier to maintain than having 8 discus. I also am looking at getting a Sterlite 35 gallon tote to age water in. Does anyone here use a plastic tote to age water? I have a filter or 2 I can stick on it for circulation and I can put in a heater to get the water the same temp. as the aquarium. Do these heaters melt plastic? I've seen some submersibles that don't look like they would. A 35 gallon allows me to do a 50% water change. I'll use Prime every time I fill up the the tote. I will probably feed only flakes and pellets. What do you think?

chago09
03-18-2006, 10:51 PM
well i've only been keeping discus for a few months now but i know a lot of people suggest some high protein food. Flakes and pellets are really good to have in the diet but some frozen bloodworms or freeze dried bloodworms would be really good aswell. Also Frozen brine shrimp. The main thing everyone will tell you to feed is beefheart which yes is really good but i don't think its mandatory because there is no cattle sitting in the amazon river waiting to have its heart eaten by discus lol. So flakes and pellets are really good(try finding ones with high protein like omega 1 super color) and maybe mix it up with some FBW and your good.

03-19-2006, 01:38 AM
I currently use 2 32 gal. plastic trash cans(rubbermaid) and I've been laying my ebo heaters on the bottom of them for over a year and have had no problems with melting. You don't really need a filter in the storage, just an air bubble

korbi_doc
03-19-2006, 09:54 AM
I currently use 2 32 gal. plastic trash cans(rubbermaid) and I've been laying my ebo heaters on the bottom of them for over a year and have had no problems with melting. You don't really need a filter in the storage, just an air bubble

:D Completely agree with 1977!! I have 3 RM 32g trash cans with wheels... stored leaning against the tank stands, have had no problems in 3 yrs now..but they do not stand alone, so be sure to stabilize them somehow...& heaters on the bottom are no problem, I still unplug them when I run the water out to protect them... last week I forgot, & thank goodness it is the stainless steel type, cuz it was frying when I unplugged it, but was ok, just half uncovered..lol....for aeration have airstones, they work great!! JMO, Dottie ;)