PDA

View Full Version : White Poop?

Go For It
03-19-2006, 06:53 PM
I haven't really seen poop from the Discus yet, but I see to very small pieces of a white stringy stuff at the bottom of the tank. Could this be poop? I've heard white poop is a probelm... what does this mean? Thanks.

RyanH
03-19-2006, 07:02 PM
White feces can indicate a couple of things. First, it's a sign of hexamita flagellates. If your fish start to turn darker in color and stop eating this is the most likely culprit. It can also be shed intestinal lining caused by parasites such as Capillaria. Either way, you're going to want to watch them closely.

Both can be treated effectively with medications.

If you continue to see white feces, you'll want to spend some time in the disease section and answer the questionnaire we have there so we can help you trouble shoot your problem.

hth:)
-Ryan

Go For It
03-19-2006, 07:48 PM
Okay, I'll be sure to monitor it. He is still eating, because he ate all the worms I gave him this aftenoon. Are bloodworms known to cause diseases like this? Because he is eating live bloodworms.

Ardan
03-19-2006, 07:56 PM
Live bloodworms? where are you getting them? just curious:) Sometimes live bloodworms can carry disease. I like to use Hikari frozen bloodworms (sterilized)

Sometimes the digested worm casings look white when they are expelled. Maybe this is all it is.

hth
Ardan

Go For It
03-19-2006, 08:04 PM
I get them from a LFS. Do you guys recommend I stop feeding him the live bloodworms and switch to frozen ones? Yeah, I'm not sure if the white stuff is from the worms or the Discus itself, but I just wanted to ask just in case.

Ardan
03-19-2006, 08:06 PM
To be sure, you can stop the worms for a while and see if you don't see that anymore.
Keep them eating though. Yes, if its live bloodworms, I have heard some have had troubles with disease. I would hesitate myself.

I think the frozen "Hikari" brand are best. imo

hth
Ardan