PDA

View Full Version : Filtration?

Go For It
03-19-2006, 10:18 PM
On my 60 gallon, I have just an AquaClear 110 running. I took out everything from the filter except the one large sponge. Do you guys recommend any products that fit the AC 110 filters that I should add to it? As far as a pre-filter, I just have half a sponge rubber-banded around the intake tube. How do you guys make your prefilters?

Cosmo
03-19-2006, 11:30 PM
I don't use an AC, but I can tell you most people only use the sponges. Carol makes her own pre-filter sponges, but you have to be careful they're not the pre-treated type of sponge or they'll kill your fish. Some folks use AC sponges to make pre-filter sponges.

You can also buy Eheim pre-filter sponges at bigalsonline. or drsfostersmith.com and they fit the intake tubes nicely. If you get several, you can cleam them and boil them and re-use them for quit awhile, otherwise it gets expensive.

hth
Jim

Go For It
03-20-2006, 12:21 AM
How do you make your own?

Jarrod
03-20-2006, 12:24 AM
Here's a thread from here that you may find interesting about making your own sponge filters...hth
Jarrod
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=40648

korbi_doc
03-20-2006, 08:55 AM
:D Hey Jim, boiling is hard on them, the microwave is much safer & will help'm last longer...think Carol says 1 1/2--2 minutes.. JMO, Dottie

dax29
03-20-2006, 09:14 AM
The filter max III pre-filter sponge is cheap and fits easily on the AC 110. I have them on both my 110s on my African tank. Lately I've found a pond filter sponge that slides perfectly over the AC intake and is a breeze to slide off and clean.

Cosmo
03-20-2006, 10:49 AM
Filter Max are good too :)

Dottie... I've built up a stock of a dozen or so, so they don't get boiled that often and have held up really good, but .. microwave sounds much easier on ME ... lol tks :)

Jim

Go For It
03-20-2006, 11:09 AM
Do they sell the Max III or any of the other prefilters at Petco or PetsMart? I also have another question... I have an Eclipse 12 that I am planning on using for a quarantine tank, but the filtration system doesn't seem to work unless the blue sponge is in place. Do they sell the sponge without the carbon for the Eclipses?

dax29
03-20-2006, 12:19 PM
I purchased mina at Pet Solutions.

RyanH
03-20-2006, 02:01 PM
You're probably going to need to go online for the Filtermax III's. It's going to be cheaper for you anyway than buying them in a store.

www.kensfish.com
www.bigalsonline.com
www.petsolutions.com

hth:)
-Ryan

Go For It
03-20-2006, 02:35 PM
Okay, I'l probably end up purchasing them online? Does anyone know what I should do about the eclipse tank? I'm looking for a sponge that has no carbon because the filter doesn't sem to work unless it has a sponge.

Cosmo
03-20-2006, 03:30 PM
Don't know if this will help or not, but http://www.drsfostersmith.com carries a line of replacement inserts for vairios filters that don't come with carbon.. some are pure bio and some you fill with whatever you want.
Jim

RyanH
03-20-2006, 03:41 PM
If you can't find a sponge made specifically for that filter, you can always buy sponge media for any other brand and cut it to size. The large sponges made for the AC 110 work well for this.

hth
-Ryan

alpine
03-20-2006, 07:12 PM
I have four aquaclear 100's and I use the prefilter III foam adapters , I guess made by hydro filters and I use the ceramic pieces with the foam inside the canister.
The prefilters work Great.

roberto.