PDA

View Full Version : Just what you all need another newbie :)

Kanpai
03-20-2006, 02:50 PM
Hey all,

Been reading alot of posts and have found so much great information.

Here is my current setup.

55G Planted with CO2 Injection
AC70 HOB Filter with Sponge, Bio, and Nitrazorb in the filter along with another sponge for prefilter on intake
2 Sponge filters in the corners

Conditions:
pH: 6.4
Temp: 84
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0

Pop:
1 neon Blue Discus (about 2 1/2)
1 Pigeon Blood (about 3)
1 Clown Pleco (2 inch)
1 choco pleco (2 inch)
2 Yo-yo Loaches
5 Black Shirt Tetras
5 BA Tetras
2 Angels (small)

I know this is a wierd setup for a Discus tank. Everything seems to be getting along just fine. There has not been any evidence of fin nipping and absolutely no aggression agains the discus. they are actually showing great color. I am a bit worried about the BA Tetras, but I havent seem them really act agains the discus. They did eat the 10 neons I put in there, or they just disappeared ;)

I do a 20% wc daily and do readings daily as I have only had the discus for close to a month. This is my first set. I will probably add a couple more in the near future if nothing changes. I just cant afford to do them all at once.

I dont want to change the setup too much as the fish are growing and the plants are growing.

Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

pcsb23
03-20-2006, 03:00 PM
Welcome to SimplyDiscus. Keep an eye on the BA's. I'd dump the nitrzorb, more trouble than its worth, also in a planted tank some nitrate is beneficil to the plants. As long as its less than 20ppm there should be no probs.

just make sure you qt new fish before adding to the tank.

Jarrod
03-20-2006, 03:25 PM
Hi Kanpal...just wanted to say Welcome to Simply!...sounds like you got a pretty nice tank setup..
Jarrod

CAGE-RATTLER
03-20-2006, 06:07 PM
Welcome aboard!

You've definately come to the right place to get plenty of info.

Timbo
03-20-2006, 08:30 PM
welcome to simply Kanpai!

Charlotte is a beautiful city, my daughter used to live there. glad you found the board... it will be probably as valuable to you as it was for me.

prediction: you will end up with more than two discus in that tank :)

good luck and enjoy your fish!

AmberC
03-20-2006, 09:59 PM
Welcome to Simply!!! :D
Amber

BIGFOOT
03-20-2006, 11:53 PM
Welcome to Simply