PDA

View Full Version : How 'bout another newbie...

TrevorB
03-21-2006, 01:03 AM
Hi All. Been following the posts for quite awhile now and thought I would finally chime in. (And had to get some help from Ryan to get my registration complete, Thanks again Ryan!)

I'm actually getting ready for my 2nd attempt at keeping discus. My first experience ended badly as I got a bunch of fish from an importer, and although the fish may have been ok, I don't think the advice I got from him on proper care was very good. Way too many chemicals for my taste.

So anyway, I've got 4 new discus coming next week and can't wait!

Here's my tank setup.
90gal, lightly planted
pH 7.2, temp 84-85, ammonia/nitrate/nitrite 0, TDS 160s

Current inhabitants are
1 lone surviving discus - some sort of turq, not showing much color or growing
1 large angel - might be moving soon if he's too much of a pig
4 blue rams
3 serpae tetras
3 neon tetras
1 flying fox
I have 3 BN plecos coming with the discus too...

Just wanted to introduce myself, as I'm sure I'll be coming back with questions before too long...

Trevor

candyl70
03-21-2006, 01:14 AM
Welcome to Simply Trevor!! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_1_202.gif Glad to hear that you are getting some new babies.

Do you have a qt tank to put them in?? You wanna make sure to qt them for at least 6 weeks. ;)

Got any pics of your setup??

Candy

CAGE-RATTLER
03-21-2006, 01:35 AM
Welcome Aboard trevor!

You come to the right place to get some excellent info.

TrevorB
03-21-2006, 01:52 AM
No pics yet, but I'll work on it...

Would you QT the fish even though I don't really have much in the tank already? I'm getting the fish from one of the site sponsors, but I guess that doesn't mean that his fish are perfectly safe for my tank I suppose...

hexed
03-21-2006, 02:33 AM
Trevor,
WELCOME TO SIMPLY!!
It is best to QT anything before you put it in your established tank. I QT for at least one month. What I do is let them settle for about a week. Then I will dose for external parasites. I give them a few days after I finish that treatment then dose for internal parasites and again give them a few days. I then watch how they eat and act in the tank during this time. If everything looks and feels ok to me I then add them to my established tank. If they seems sluggish, turn dark, etc then I will treat them with meds and keep them in the QT longer. When QT be sure to do daily water changes as they need fresh water :) You want to be sure they are clear of any parasites, look and act healthy before you put them in your tank. If you just put them in your tank without QT you could be introducing an ilness into your tank and with substrate and plants it's harder to cure.
Frank :angel:

CAGE-RATTLER
03-21-2006, 04:32 AM
Trevor,
WELCOME TO SIMPLY!!
It is best to QT anything before you put it in your established tank. I QT for at least one month. What I do is let them settle for about a week. Then I will dose for external parasites. I give them a few days after I finish that treatment then dose for internal parasites and again give them a few days. I then watch how they eat and act in the tank during this time. If everything looks and feels ok to me I then add them to my established tank. If they seems sluggish, turn dark, etc then I will treat them with meds and keep them in the QT longer. When QT be sure to do daily water changes as they need fresh water :) You want to be sure they are clear of any parasites, look and act healthy before you put them in your tank. If you just put them in your tank without QT you could be introducing an ilness into your tank and with substrate and plants it's harder to cure.
Frank :angel:

Frank, Just curious .... what do you treat with for internal & external parasites as part of your QT procedure?

Jarrod
03-21-2006, 07:38 AM
Hi Trevor and Welcome to Simply!....you'll find some sonderful advice and help here to make your discus healthy and happy..best of luck and again welcome!:)
Jarrod

TrevorB
03-21-2006, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the advice. My QT is only a 10gal. Is that big enough for 4 discus? They are in the 2.5" size range.

White Worm
03-21-2006, 05:51 PM
Yep, 4-6 weeks.

BIGFOOT
03-21-2006, 05:56 PM
I would say a 10 gallon can handle 4 - 2.5 inch Discus. Its not like they will live there for ever. Ooooh by the way Welcome to Simply.

TrevorB
03-21-2006, 06:04 PM
One problem... I'll be gone over Easter weekend. I'm guessing I don't want to leave them in a 10 gal tank for 5 days w/o WC's. Ever cut the QT time down to 2 weeks due to circumstances like this?

Or if anyone is in southern MN and wants to swing by daily ... :)

big bob
03-21-2006, 07:37 PM
Dump the flying fox there little sods and the angelas hell give them HITH(Hex) if thay dont alredy have it.
Good luck
Mike

TrevorB
03-26-2006, 06:15 PM
Ok, took a pic of the tank so thought I'd try putting an attachment out here, see how it works - and since Candy requested one :)

I did end up moving the Flying Fox. He never bothered the discus, but was constantly chasing the rams, so he needed a new home.

The new discus are here!!! I'll get some pics of them in the Photo Gallery soon.

Jarrod
03-26-2006, 08:08 PM
Trevor...a very nice looking planted tank! I can almost feel the excitement you're feeling about getting the new tenants in your tank :D I've been in the same mode here now for the past 9 days or so...LOL..Since I just got my newest ones in and acclimated to their new home..congrats on getting the new ones!! Can't wait to see pics of them in their new abode...best of luck and welcome yet one more time to Simply!
Jarrod

TrevorB
03-26-2006, 11:13 PM
Thanks Jarrod! It's a far cry from some of the planted tanks I've seen, but I enjoy having some plants in there even if it's just the basic anubias, crypts, & java fern...

Trevor