PDA

View Full Version : =( Discus all died!!!

dtownkennel
03-22-2006, 02:33 AM
These are my growouts I got from Dan @ GulfCoastDiscus 2 months ago. I treated with parasite clear and my canister filter broke all of a sudden and all I had was an airline, I guess this wasnt enough oxygen to keep them alive. They just got better a week before too after some good advice from Dan. :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( Man this is the worst feeling in the world!!!! and they were so growing so fast and were nicely shaped too. This sucks bigtime!!!

dtownkennel
03-22-2006, 02:37 AM

dtownkennel
03-22-2006, 02:39 AM

Kindredspirit
03-22-2006, 02:42 AM
dtown ~ I am so sorry to hear such news! It must have been awful for you all the way around ~

Why the need to post the pics tho? I find it disturbing to look at ~ I thought I would cry ~ I could only imagine what you went thru ~

Was there a particular reason, perhaps I am missing that you felt the need to post such pictures?

Marie~http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_4_10.gif

dtownkennel
03-22-2006, 02:52 AM
To tell you the truth I really dont know why I posted the pics...maybe for someone to relate to my situation?? I duno I'm so P.O. im not thinking straight

Kindredspirit
03-22-2006, 02:57 AM
...I can understand that and you prolly wanted some to share exactly what you felt .....

I have had a long night and forgive me if I came off rude it was not my intention~

Do you know why your canister broke?

Marie~http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_4_10.gif

hexed
03-22-2006, 03:49 AM
That is one of the saddest pictures I've ever seen. I am so sorry for your loss :(
How long was the filter down for? Man I feel your pain :(

cobaltblue
03-22-2006, 03:51 AM
Very sorry to hear ( and see) your big loss. I know how bad i felt losing one fish. Try and keep your chin up. Things will get better. :angel:

Jason
03-22-2006, 05:03 AM
very sad to see, did you get the cannister filter to run again after it had been out of operation for awile?

CAGE-RATTLER
03-22-2006, 05:26 AM
WOW .......... it was hard enough to read the title that ALL your fish had died ........... but then seeing them in a pic like that .................. Man i feel your pain !!

A good reason i guess to always have more than one source of filtration in each tank!

How long was it without filtration?

AmberC
03-22-2006, 08:00 AM
It really sucks to loose one, but all of them! I'm so sorry you lost all your fish!! I too am curious how long the filter was broken for.

Amber

Jarrod
03-22-2006, 08:54 AM
OMG!!!!! that would be the most HORRENDOUS experience a discus lover could have to go thru in this hobby!..I feel soooooooo bad for you losing them all like that. Sorry for your loss and hope that you can find and fix the problem with your canister...
Jarrod

korbi_doc
03-22-2006, 09:07 AM
So sorry for that terrible loss, hang in there, things will get better...that is truly a horrendous experience...we all feel your pain..Dottie

wolfbane
03-22-2006, 10:29 AM
Wow! I am sorry for the loss of your fish. Filter probs are the stuff of my nightmares. I lost a fluval filter, not on a discus tank, now all tanks have ACs on them. Did the filter restart and contaminate the water? So sad.

marilyn1998
03-22-2006, 10:48 AM
OMG!!! What a haunting site. I hope you get things figured out and do not leave the hobby due to this. It truly is a magnificent loss to have them all go.
I lost mine when a heater broke while I was gone for a weekend and they fried. No more glass heaters. IT took me 10 years to get another tank.
I hope you find some more discus soon.

Terrybo
03-22-2006, 10:53 AM
How terrible! Cary had an episode about a year ago where he lost a LOT of discus after using Parasite Clear. (I still use it without problems, but I watch the fish very carefully whenever I add it to the tank).

Terry

Elcid
03-22-2006, 12:47 PM
So sorry to see that! This is not uncommon with discus keepers, cheer up, clean the tank start over! Looks like you were doing a great job raising those!

HTH,
Sandeep

tpl*co
03-22-2006, 12:59 PM
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss, that is really terrible :(. I think equipment failure is everybody's nightmare here (along with power outages and disease outbreaks :().

Hope this doesn't turn you off from the hobby and you get more discus soon.

Tina

dtownkennel
03-22-2006, 01:30 PM
Well I always add more filtration when i use medication just to make sure theres enough oxygen. For some reason for the past few days the water has been getting white...so I've been doing 2 to 3 water changes a day. But next day it gets white again. :confused: I didnt think anything of it when I treated parasite clear next thing you know I came out of my room and they were all on the sides. This was about 9 or 10 hours after I treated the tank. I think the parasite clear ended up making more waste in the tank and there wasnt enough filtration. Daym canister filter kept running but barely and water was coming out of it!!!I was cursing so much my gf thought the apt was on fire. :mad: O well I guess a lesson learned. Thanks all for the replies.

Audrey
03-22-2006, 01:46 PM
Ouch...that is so sad, I can't even imagine..... I am very sorry for your loss.

Audrey

Alight
03-22-2006, 03:27 PM
I had an almost similar experience with some Praziquantel recently. Fortunately, this was in my quarantine tank, in which I keep some culls to test new with.

I had bought some new otos and BN catfish, and always treat them with Prazi and Levamisole during the quarantine period to prevent parasites from getting to my main Discus tanks.

Anyway, I put in a normal amount of Prazi, which in the past has had no effect on fish, and the next morning, all of the Discus culls were floating upside down--I thought they were dead. I quickly changed 100% of the water, and within a few hours, all of the Discus recovered. The new otos and BN seemed to be unaffected.

I continued the treatment, only at 1/2 strength, and the Discus appeared to be stressed, but lived through it.

The Discus weren't gasping for air. In fact, they were breathing very slowly. I can't figure out why this time was different, other than I might have put in a bit more Prazi than previously.

The Discus eventually fully recovered from the treatment, and the BN and otos all came through quarantine in flying colors. All look much better than when I bought them.

Since Parasite Clear now has Prazi in it, I'm guessing that was the culprit. I checked for ammonia and nitrites, and none were present during the Prazi treatment. A small amount of ammonia showed up during the Levamisole treatment, which is normal since this stuff does damage the biofilter, but it recovers within a day or so with major water changes.

This quarantine tank only has a sponge filter in it and an airstone, so it is kind of similar to a tank with a damaged canister filter.

DarkDiscus
03-22-2006, 03:38 PM
Sorry for your loss!

That's tough - those fish look very nice - in fact they barely look dead with their bright, clear eyes and good coloration.

One suggestion for the future - every fish keeper should definitely have a back up filter and heater in case of emergencies. Problems do arise and it's always a good idea to have extras of everything. Even a good power filter in reserve or a good pump and several sponge filters can save the day.

Best of luck in the future.

John

Kindredspirit
03-22-2006, 04:10 PM
Hey You ~

I hope today is a little better for you ~ A lot of great people feel your pain as you see!

Again accept my apologies if I came off rude initially~ As someone said, those fish looked really great and you must have been doing a great job ~ I have some of Dan's fish I would do so again ~

Marie~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_4_10.gif

lauren0626
03-22-2006, 05:11 PM
I believe there is a place in heaven called Amazon Bridge and all discus go there after live.
Amazon Bridge has unlimited supplies of fresh and warm black water, and good food, too.
Does it make everyone feels better?

White Worm
03-22-2006, 06:21 PM
Looks to be about 12 there, sorry to hear, I lost 16 within 4 days because of bad tap during a large w/c. It sucks but you will recover. Now I have 20 healthy discus and I always learn from my mistakes. Just take what you have learned here and press on and getcha some new discus.

Jason
03-22-2006, 06:42 PM
Sorry for your loss!

That's tough - those fish look very nice - in fact they barely look dead with their bright, clear eyes and good coloration.

One suggestion for the future - every fish keeper should definitely have a back up filter and heater in case of emergencies. Problems do arise and it's always a good idea to have extras of everything. Even a good power filter in reserve or a good pump and several sponge filters can save the day.

John

very good suggestion!

everyone should have on hand extra heaters, air pump, filters, water conditioners, salt, etc. doesn't have to be top of the line equipment either-just there when you need it.

pcsb23
03-22-2006, 06:57 PM
Sorry for your loss!

John
The voice of experience.

Awful loss and they did look good too! For what its worth, I have run most makes of cannister filters, but now each new one I buy is an Eheim. All others have failed at some point, but not the Eheims, the cost a bob or two more but they are workhorses.

I sincerely hope you dig deep and start over, once the discus bug bites...

Take care,

aloha_discus
03-22-2006, 07:14 PM
dtown Bro, I dont know what to say except that when you are ready give me a call and I WILL try to help by replacing some of your loss. When I was in need at one time, members such as Jack aand Willie of Discus Kc who had me and my wife come to his home and gave us 4 Large discus at no charge, A member named Rod who donated 6 Beautiful discus to me and AL Brewmaster for covering the shipping and last but not least Dan at Gulfcoastdiscus. Dan has sent me albino goldens and I have been a repeat customer of his also. The members also offered words of kindness and support.

I will also be getting out of the hobby soon. I can no longer do the things I did when my health at was at its peak. I recently had a heart attack and found that I will be back on dialysis within the year again 4hrs on the machine 3 times a week. I will however be getting to the planted tank area from inspiration from my Braddah Dans setup most have seen recently on the Gallery sedtion.

This is by no means goodbye ar Aloha but just anther beggining for my Wife and I.

Mahalo Everyone for the great friendships I have made on this forum and to the many more I will make.

Love and Aloha, Ike

Ardan
03-22-2006, 07:30 PM
I am sorry to hear of your loss. It is tough, I know. All you can do is learn and go on.
Again, I am sorry.
Ardan

Spices
03-22-2006, 07:45 PM
Darn... Looking at all those pretty peachy dead discus almost made me teary eyed. :( So sorry to hear of your lost DTown. But like the gang all said above, you'll be back in spirits in no time. Just hang in there. It's a tough start but once you get started, ain't no stopping ya ever (hint: Dan's got some lovely stock of discus for sure).

One piece of advice, I've learned over and over again...Don't rely on those medications to do a full 100% cure. With every good is a bad. Honestly, I use no medicines ever (just clean simple water daily and the once in a while diatomic filter to rid aquatic mites). I find that this does the trick as well as on occasions the salt routine.

Hang in there! :angel:

AND YOU TOO IKEY (OMGOODNESS)...Gonna ring ya in about another few hours..(Waiting for the discount phone prices hour) ;) Aloha :wave: :angel:

**Angie**

DISCUS USA
03-22-2006, 08:02 PM
Ike ,, sorry to hear about the health problems ,,take care of yourself first,,the fish will always be around we know you ll be back you not going to retire from discus.. lol you say that now but you be back.. ,, feel better and hope for a speedy recovery after dialysis..

Hector NYC..

candyl70
03-22-2006, 08:11 PM
wow... I am sooooo sorry to see all of your beauties dead like that. :( That is some rough luck, but like everyone has said, it happens, it happens to the best sometimes too. Don't let it get you out of the hobby. Let us know what you plan to do and update us.

Take care, all the best,

Candy

Elcid
03-22-2006, 08:50 PM
I'm always amazed how effective a sponge filter is in a discus tank....Get one for your tank regardless of what other filtration systems you have connected! Oh! I remember Jeff Young posting pics of dozens of discus he lost last year using Parasite Clear if I remember correctly on another forum....I wouldn't put too much blame on urself!

take care,
Sandeep

Terrybo
03-22-2006, 09:27 PM
Oh! I remember Jeff Young posting pics of dozens of discus he lost last year using Parasite Clear if I remember correctly on another forum....I wouldn't put too much blame on urself!

take care,
Sandeep

Oh that's right, it was Jeff, not Cary. Here's the thread http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=41770

Terry

GottaBeKiN
03-24-2006, 06:15 PM
I wish you well and will bounce back quickly.

BIGFOOT
03-25-2006, 11:57 AM
Well I guess there no Parasite Clear in my future. I hope you dont get out of the hobby because of a bad experience. I have tried Discus many time this one makes the third time I have tried them. NO SUCCES!!! at even keeping them alive more or less trying to breed them. I just took a break after each failure to regroup my thoughts. Now I have good advantage I got SIMPLY DISCUS on my side. In closing SORRY ABOUT YOUR LOST AND I WANT TO WISH YOU ALL THE LUCK IN THE FUTURE.

blooddiscus
03-26-2006, 06:13 AM
:D Hey, should buy back up system, like a computer batery in your computer. When things are out, system stills keep running. I learn the hardway too. So relax and keep learning!

AmazonRainbows
03-26-2006, 12:12 PM
That is such a bad thing. Realy scare me and I will definyitly add some more filter to my tank. Fish realy look's very healty and beautifull. That is a very sorry lost. I also use parasite clear once and a day after I got a big outbreak on bacterial diseases. Now you convince me this product is now on my black list for ever.