PDA

View Full Version : what medications to have?

wheeler
03-22-2006, 11:08 AM
if one was to set-up a medicine cabinet for their discus, what should you have? metro, prazi...etc? just getting into the dicsus addiction and would like to know!!!

Carol_Roberts
03-22-2006, 05:43 PM
Epsom salt, metronidazole, formalin, furan II

Greg Richardson
03-22-2006, 06:31 PM
http://akimages.crossmediaservices.com/dyn_li/200.0.88.0/Retailers/shopko/051009_22_23_uo8ou_7.jpg

wheeler
03-23-2006, 04:21 AM
yes greg, i do agree!!!LOL although i have found liquid advil to be sufficient...LOL

TrevorB
03-23-2006, 11:36 PM
Anyone have any experience/thoughts on Jungle brand Fungus Eliminator?
That was something the first breeder I got discus from (may they rest in peace) used all the time.

Trevor

II j L c II
03-25-2006, 05:03 PM
Any type of ibuprofin lol. Metro I think is the best medicine to have in stock as well as acriflavine.

Jon

lkleung007
03-25-2006, 07:55 PM
Hi,

Here's what I have on hand...list may be a little long but I like to be prepared. Hate to not have meds available when I need it.

metronidazole
quick cure
furan 2
praziquantel
melafix
pimafix
salt
clout
fluke tabs
piperizine
PP

HTH, Lester

wheeler
03-25-2006, 11:51 PM
all of the lists and suggestions are great!!! having a brain freeze right now...what is PP? just can't think of it!!

what would you use some of these meds for??? some of them are familiar but some others i have not heard of!!

thanks

BIGFOOT
03-26-2006, 02:38 AM
Just in case you have not seen this thread. http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=49279

Jarrod
03-26-2006, 08:40 AM
all of the lists and suggestions are great!!! having a brain freeze right now...what is PP? just can't think of it!!

what would you use some of these meds for??? some of them are familiar but some others i have not heard of!!

thanks

I think it's potassium permangate...I know I've seen it before listed on meds...but I can't be sure if I'm right or not..and what it's used for I can't remember either...I'm sure one of those here knows what it's for and if in fact I'm correct or not on this...sorry couldn't be more help with it. :confused:
Jarrod

marilyn1998
03-26-2006, 09:08 AM
what Jarrod said. my understanding is its for cleaning and disinfecting. I think it may have a medicinal use too. Someone will post more.

sam_y
03-26-2006, 12:06 PM
Two links from the Library on potassium permanganate:

http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/disease_medications/medicine_cabinet/potassium_permanganate.shtml

http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/disease_medications/medicine_cabinet/pp_usage.shtml

I'd like to stress the importance of monitoring any fish under PP treatment as it can burn gills (among other things) if dosed improperly. During a normal PP treatment, discus should swim and respond to you normally. Neutralize with hydrogen peroxide if there are any signs of distress.

I'm sure others will disagree, but I find formalin/Quick Cure to be a safer alternative for treating fish (btw, never mix PP and formalin). However, PP works great for disinfecting tanks and water barrels.

Jarrod
03-26-2006, 12:37 PM
Sam..thank you for posting those 2 links...informative reading there regarding the PP.
Jarrod

wheeler
03-27-2006, 12:47 AM
yes, thanks to all for posting. a lot of good reading.

RyanH
03-27-2006, 12:16 PM
I use PP for lots of things these days. Everything from algae and bacterial blooms to external parasites to cleaning and sterilizing tanks and equipment.

It's an excellent option with a variety of applications. It's just a matter of taking the time to understand how to use it safely.

As far as my medicine cabinet goes, I will usually keep the following in the house:

Metronidazole
Praziquantel
Formalin
Levamisole
Methylene Blue
Maracyn II
Furan 2
salt
epsom salt

That's pretty much it. I've given up on the "cure-all's" that the pet stores like to sell. IME, they have a ton of different meds in them that are all dosed entirely too low to do any good. They only serve to make pathogens more resistent to treatment and should be avoided IMO. At the rate we're going, even pure metronidazole will be useless in 2 years.

-Ryan