PDA

View Full Version : Major Question

BobB
03-22-2006, 12:18 PM
I would like to setup a 90G Discus Showtank really not interested in breeding.
My question is do I need a RO/DI unit, the guy at the LFS says yes others say no. I need your input. BTW my PH is 8.2 nitrates and nitrites 0 no ammonia. Getting a headache in Rosemount!

DarkDiscus
03-22-2006, 12:28 PM
No. You do not need an RO unit.

Your pH is pretty high, but I think discus would do just fine in it as is. If you are worried, consider using peat to lower the pH.

My pH at my apartment was 7.8 and my discus did great.

HTH,

John

AADiscus
03-22-2006, 04:50 PM
I agree with John, you do not need an RO unit if you are just having a show tank. I think your water parameters are ok as well. I would monitor your Ph though. If I am not mistaken but I think Carol says her PH is high like that and her fish do great. Bob, if you start messing with your PH and you can't keep it consistant all the time your fish will get stressed. Then you will have other issues on your hand. You are better off to let it stay where it is. Will you be aging your water for wc's? This will help also. Alot of times your PH will drop after aging. Do a test. Fill up a container or milk jug with water out of your tap and test the PH. Let it sit overnight or for 24 hrs. Re-test your PH is see if it is any different than straight out of the tap.

BobB
03-22-2006, 04:56 PM
wc's do you mean chlorine and choromide(sp) if so yes!