PDA

View Full Version : Germans VS. Asians

kakes11
03-22-2006, 04:28 PM
Is there a big difference in keeping germans compaired to asians? I have asians and they seem like they are hard to keep, they are finicky . My LFS owner said he has germans and they never die and rarely get sick and with his experiences, asians are much harder to keep. Is this true or is a discus a discus no matter if they are german or asian?

DarkDiscus
03-22-2006, 04:32 PM
A discus is a discus is a discus.

A healthy German bred discus as compared to a healthy discus from Asia as opposed to a healthy North American bred discus or a healthy Australlian bred discus... all one and the same.

John

Doug A
03-22-2006, 05:36 PM
German discus like beer, sausage & sauerkraut

Asian discus like rice, sake & General tso's chicken

Dave C
03-22-2006, 05:42 PM
A healthy German bred discus as compared to a healthy discus from Asia as opposed to a healthy North American bred discus or a healthy Australlian bred discus... all one and the same.

Of course that's true. But if one source of Discus is more commonly found to be healthy by the time it hits your tank then there can be a great difference.

alpine
03-22-2006, 06:06 PM
I think German discus hold the liquor Better....:D .
I have four tanks , two with german discus and two with asian discus. I see different behavior patterns ...etc. With my short experience I would say that overall the german fish are if not hardier easier to deal with than asians. I love them all.

roberto.

DISCUS USA
03-22-2006, 06:19 PM
I prefer Asian Discus anytime ,, i had German discus before from 2 seperate orders and they all died.. learned my lesson.. i stick to Asian or American breed Discus strictly..

White Worm
03-22-2006, 06:24 PM
So what do asian discus like? Rice and sushi? I dont know, that sacki (spelling?) liquor drink is pretty potent stuff.

BobB
03-23-2006, 12:05 PM
I guess both if you are multi lingual! LOL

nolefan
03-23-2006, 12:26 PM
I prefer Asian discus over Germans because I like the shapes more on the asians,but the germans definetily have size.With hardiness I think it just depends on the person you are getting the fish from.I have had mixed results with both.

Alan
03-23-2006, 03:18 PM
Nobody beats San Miguel beer - Asian beer with a European name. Oh! Are we talking about discus? :p :D

Discus_KC
03-23-2006, 05:58 PM
We breed both. They both grow well.

Jack

mench
03-23-2006, 07:57 PM
Apples vs oranges... German cars or Asian cars.....All the same..just pick what ya like...Only thing I see is the Germans tend to stick to the old tried and true strains,while the Asian seem to experment to see what they can get...

Mench

billeagan
03-23-2006, 08:04 PM
Definitely tell your LFS to get a new pitch... It could be his experiences are better because the germans are coming from a different source with cleaner tanks, etc.

Blue Moon beer or Rolling Rock for me and my fish =)