PDA

View Full Version : Prefilter Sponge

chago09
03-23-2006, 12:28 PM
where in Canada can I buy pre filter sponge for AC's. Or is there a way I can make them myself???

Dood Lee
03-23-2006, 01:19 PM
Hagen doesn't actually make prefilter sponges for their AC line. You need to buy a prefilter sponge from some other company. I use the Marineland Penguin Powerhead prefilters. They are really big, so I cut them in half and have two prefilters.

Edit: Sorry, didn't read the part about where to buy in Canada. Obviously, I can't help you there. But if a store sells the Marineland Penguin Powerheads, they should be able to get the prefilter sponges.

chago09
03-23-2006, 01:55 PM
where did you find those i looked on big als and couldn't find anything??? and when you use those doesn't that block out any mechanical filtration...... or on second thought do our bb discus tanks even need mechanical filtration since there is nothing in there but water and fish???

Alight
03-23-2006, 02:13 PM
I use Oxygen Plus filter sponges on all my intake tubes. I put many more holes in the intake tubes (all the way up) and add on the extension tubes and put holes in these, too. With these sponges on the intakes, I hardly ever have to clean the media in the filter box. I do have to thoroughly rinse the intake sponges every three days or so.

They are a tight fit on the intake tubes, but will become easier to remove and replace as they wear in.

These sponges will also act as biofiltration, and can be moved around easily to cycle a new tank, or to use in a quarantine tank.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=3936&ref=3532&subref=AC&N=2004+22768

Is the link. I buy the 2 sponges which are actually 4 sponges. Only $4 US. Buy a bunch and the shipping costs are easier to justify.

Dood Lee
03-23-2006, 03:03 PM
Here you go Chago, from the Big Al's Canada site:

http://www.bigalsonline.ca/catalog/product.xml?product_id=26115;category_id=2637;pcid 1=1971;pcid2=

I didn't realize the costs were so much higher in Canada...

Anyway, if you cut it straight down the middle, you will have two sponges to use for two filters.

chago09
03-23-2006, 07:13 PM
how long is that sponge.... it looks large i could probably cut it into 3 or 4 sponges because the tip of the AC intake where water flows in is only like 1.5 or 2 inches long. Maybe it's just the pic but that looks like its 10 inches long lol. thanx though dood lee i was looking for that and couldn't find it anywhere. how often do you need to change these ??? or do i ever need to aslong as I keep cleaning it.

chago09
03-23-2006, 07:16 PM
am i not just better off buying a sponge from like walmart and just cutting it to how i need it lol that will cost me like $5 for like ten lol maybe even 12 or 13.

chago09
03-23-2006, 07:19 PM
what's a mag drive because i was skimming through the big als site and theres all kind of pre filter sponges for mag drives, i have no idea what that is??