PDA

View Full Version : Is it a san Merah?

JimmyB
03-27-2006, 11:28 AM
I am trying to identify a discus. I think it is a San Merah. If I do a Yahoo serch, I see about every kind of discus photo. Here goes....Overalll a light to medium brown solid color, no visible bars at all. There is some reddish brown along the outer edges of the body and on the fins. Overall the fish is a velvety light brown solid color, gorgeous. In the right light, there is a red cast to the body color. There is a very slight turquoise green cast on part of the nose. Any ideas?

RyanH
03-27-2006, 11:57 AM
Without seeing a pic it's tough to say for sure. Do you have a link you could post?

San Merahs don't have striations and tend to have a brown/red/sometimes pink coloration. There is a pic of a nice San Merah in Discus University.

You should find it here:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=48970

hth :)
-Ryan

JimmyB
03-28-2006, 11:30 AM
That link you have is the closest picture I have seen, but my fish (a male, I believe) does not have the purple hue on the belly, he is velvet brown. I'll try to attach this horrendous photo I have, the flash makes him look totallly washed out, but you will get the idea. I have brilliant turks, Red Turk carnations, marlboro red pigeons, etc but this solid colored brown/red fish is the most stunning of the bunch.

BobB
03-28-2006, 11:52 AM
Wow, that is a great looking fish, where did you find him?

marilyn1998
03-28-2006, 11:56 AM
THat is one gorgeous fish!!! Hope you get your answers. LEt us know where you got it!

crimson cross
03-28-2006, 12:27 PM
Yes, that's a san merah.hth.

JimmyB
03-28-2006, 12:30 PM
I got him from Butch at chicagolanddiscus.com. I am somewhat of a newbie so Butch was kind enough to sell me some of his fish that were within my paltry budget. I did not want to try my hand at discus with his cream-of-the-crop' fish, so he picked out some of the basics. I said "give me the rejects!" but I don't think he had any. When I walk around his fish room, my jaw dropped. Here are some of the others I got, I've had them for half a year or so. Young fish, but full of color and very healthy. My photography is terrible, so I hope I am not doing a dis-service to him.

JimmyB
03-28-2006, 12:31 PM
I think the one above is a Red Marlboro pigeon, right? Here is another, a Red White, right? My flash camera really dosn't do them justice.

JimmyB
03-28-2006, 12:39 PM
And not last, and not least, I think this is a red turk carnation. Right? I just changed water this morning and removed some driftwood for a quick scrub, so I think I kinda freaked them out and her bars are bold. Most of the time her bars are gone and she is outstanding, the metalic blue is stunning and the red is a deep rich color. On this photo, the color of her anal and dorsal fins is true to actual. Many non-aquarists friends of mine that see this tank look at them and can't believe they are real fish. Again, I want to apologize to Butch for the lame quality of my photos. They don't do the fish justice.

marilyn1998
03-28-2006, 01:07 PM
You have some beauties. and the pics are fine! THe colors are magnificent.
Keep up the good work.

Suzanne
03-29-2006, 12:19 AM
they're gorgeous and your pictures are just fine

Ginoinchicago
04-01-2006, 02:10 AM
Nice looking fish ya got there Jimmy!

diskboy
04-01-2006, 09:50 AM
pic #2 looks just like my smallest marlboro red