PDA

View Full Version : another newbie question

bennyblanco
03-28-2006, 10:55 PM
i want to set up a BB tank, what kind of driftwood can i get for that? & how can i get it to stay down in that kind of tank set up?

candyl70
03-28-2006, 11:35 PM
Benny,
I think you can use any type of drift would that you buy. If you find it make sure to boil it. To get it to stay down, you can buy some of the aquarium sealant and glue it to a peice of slate. There will be others here to help you out way more than I can, and they can give you specifics. Have fun setting it up!!

What kind of discus are you thinking of getting??

Candy

bennyblanco
03-29-2006, 12:20 AM
i have 4 discus, the thing is that i have gravel and i would like to go bb in my tank i have a piece of driftwood but it floats, im going to post some pic's soon so look for them so you can tell me what type of discus i have:D

nolefan
03-29-2006, 12:29 AM
drs foster and smith sells the african driftwood that sinks but you have to presoak for a couple weeks or it will taint your water which will not harm the fish.

bennyblanco
03-29-2006, 12:31 AM
thanks i going to look for it ,,

hexed
03-29-2006, 12:57 AM
Benny,
You can also check on Ebay, they have what you are looking for Malaysian driftwood. It sinks, but like Candy said you want to boil everything for about 30 minutes (that's what I do) to kill anything that is on it before putting in your tank and it will also remove some of the tanins (sp) so your tank water won't turn to brown. If the piece you get is to big, put half of it in the pot and then just turn it over :)

bennyblanco
03-29-2006, 01:07 AM
i love ebay good idea dude ..:D :D :D

bennyblanco
03-29-2006, 01:10 AM
what do you think about this heater, pro-heat Titanium IC Heater

http://www.marinedepot.com/a_ht_wb.asp?CartId=

bennyblanco
03-30-2006, 07:21 PM
yea!!

korbi_doc
03-31-2006, 09:32 AM
:D Benny, I've had lotsa driftwood of different types. The African/Maylasian woods that sink are great, thicker, longer lasting....I never boiled'm, but soaked in dilute chlorine hot water, brush well if necessary, then rinsed really well...some of mine that were very large, used a RM 30g tub to soak & rinse... also, if it fits, you can use the dishwasher obviously without detergent just lotsa hot hot water, this worked well for me, forget who suggested that one...but it's really easy & effective....As to holding'm down, I used SS screws, drilled hole in pc of slate, then the bottom of the wood, this also worked well....after few months many would then stay down without the slate, but I seldom changed'm....JME, Dottie ;)

Jarrod
03-31-2006, 10:20 AM
Benny...I've never used one but I went to the link and requested a catalog..they look pretty nice. Have you ever used them and if so how'd they work out for you?
Thanks Benny.
Jarrod

bennyblanco
03-31-2006, 04:47 PM
no i never used them before i was trying to findout if anyone else have...but it looks like its good you can ste the temp at what ever you need.....
Benny...I've never used one but I went to the link and requested a catalog..they look pretty nice. Have you ever used them and if so how'd they work out for you?
Thanks Benny.
Jarrod

pcsb23
03-31-2006, 05:32 PM
Benny,

Before buying one of these, check out the tanks, equip supplies section and do a search on heaters or won brthers, then make a decision!!

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//forumdisplay.php?f=90

Seems that visitherm stealths are the ones to go for!

bennyblanco
03-31-2006, 05:36 PM
thanks for the infooooo :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Benny,

Before buying one of these, check out the tanks, equip supplies section and do a search on heaters or won brthers, then make a decision!!

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//forumdisplay.php?f=90

Seems that visitherm stealths are the ones to go for!