PDA

View Full Version : All these readings

marilyn1998
03-29-2006, 05:01 PM
Ok, I am dumb. I know all the water readings, andI know the lethal ones. But I dont get the Kh and GH and the way oxygen works into it all.

My 90G unplanted gravel bottom:
PH 7.0
Temp 87
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate .5ppm
KH 4 degrees
GH took 8 drops
Cant tell about oxygen.

Is this healthy for the community tank? I am not that intererested in breeding and all. No plants. I run an AC110 and Penguin 350. With 11 discus to go in there, 3-5", do I need more oxygen? How doI tell other than if the fish gasp?

Carol_Roberts
03-29-2006, 05:14 PM
GH = the hardness or amount of minerals disolved in the water. You need minerals for juveniles to grow and minerals help maintain a stable pH.

KH= buffer. Buffer is used during normal tank processes. If you have a low KH (below 3) it can be used up as ammonia is converted to nitrIte and then nitrAte. When the buffer is used up the water can become cery acid very quickly. This is referred to as pH crash.

Alight
03-29-2006, 09:32 PM
O2 doesn't work into it. The biggest factors for O2 in your tank are
1) temperature (higher temperature water will hold less dissolved oxygen)
2) surface water turbulence (less turbulence caused by air stones and filtration will reduce the exchange of O2 into the water).
3) bioload -more fish use more O2
4) waste - the breakdown of waste products uses O2, reducing it.

Generally, well aerated water (turbulence causes aeration) will be at or nearly at 100% saturation unless you have too many fish or something rotting in your tank. If something is rotting, your pH may also go very low if your kH is low because nitric acid is one biproduct of waste breakdown.

OK?

marilyn1998
03-30-2006, 09:21 AM
Thanks Al and Carol. I take it then my levels and all are where they need to be for my puporses. THanks for clearing it up!

Alight
03-30-2006, 01:59 PM
All the parameters look good.

Al