PDA

View Full Version : Peed Off!!!!!

BIGFOOT
03-29-2006, 10:21 PM
I know I know the title dont exactly the best I could have come up with. Butt its what happen. The fish got peed off when I tried to clean the inside of tank. Now this tank has only had fish in it for two weeks ( yes it was well cycled tank ). And I know from past experiences that new fish are always jumpy. Question #1 How long does it take for them to settle in under the best condition?

Here's an update on tank. The tank is a bb. with two sponges filter and two heaters. Not much to hide behind. Would it make cleaning the tank easier on the fish if they had more to hide behind? I was thinking it would. What are your thoughts? Thanks again .

diskboy
03-29-2006, 10:24 PM
it usualy takes a couple weeks for them to get used to you and cleaning the tank.

hope this helps

Riche_guy
03-29-2006, 10:28 PM
I know I know the title dont exactly the best I could have come up with. Butt its what happen. The fish got peed off when I tried to clean the inside of tank. Now this tank has only had fish in it for two weeks ( yes it was well cycled tank ). And I know from past experiences that new fish are always jumpy. Question #1 How long does it take for them to settle in under the best condition?

Heres an update on tank. The tank is a bb. with two sponges filter and two heaters. Not much to hide behind. Would it make cleaning the tank easier on the fish if they had more to hide behind? I was thinking it would. What are your thoughts? Thanks again .

It takes awhile for Discus to feel comfortable in a new surrounding. Before they get use to you it could take a month or more. As for cleaning equipment I don't think they will like it, but may tolerate it with more time. Yes it does help if they have places to hide. I have plants and they like to hide under a particular plant in times of stress. Do you have anything in the tank, driftwood, rocks and perhaps fake plants?

BIGFOOT
03-29-2006, 10:33 PM
Do you have anything in the tank, driftwood, rocks and perhaps fake plants?

No . Just what I have on my original post.

Greg Richardson
03-29-2006, 11:21 PM
I disagree with giving them a place to hide.

Make them live on your terms. If it takes some time so be it.

RyanH
03-29-2006, 11:34 PM
I agree with Greg. Don't baby them.

They'll get used to you and your water change regime with a little time.

GulfCoastDiscus
03-29-2006, 11:52 PM
I agree as well with Greg and Ryan. Give them something to hide and they will. If don't get them use to your ways now, you'll have more problems when they're breeding.

JMHO

Kindredspirit
03-30-2006, 12:43 AM
Exactly ~ Give them a place to hide and they will ~ always ~ there is no hiding at my house ~

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_4_10.gif

Riche_guy
03-30-2006, 06:50 AM
I'm not sure if I agree fully about the hiding place being a bad thing. It can be a nice place to go if they feel threaten or are bullied by more dominant fish. Mine would go under a plant when another Discus would bully him. It prevented the fish from getting stressed and possible injury. the fish now feels more comfortable out in the open and is less bullied, but goes back there from time to time.

BIGFOOT
03-30-2006, 07:41 AM
Ok THANKS GUY !!!! There will be no hiding here either. I did not want to baby them anyway. Butt I dont want them crashing into the glass either.

Jarrod
03-30-2006, 08:10 AM
I think given time they will get accustomed to your activities in the tank when doing wc's and cleaning...I do put in a small piece of fake driftwood in my tanks but they don't hide behind it all really...they don't even hide behind or around the sponge filters either. They adapted to me and my hands and arms in the tanks fairly rapidly in my case...it just takes time for them to get accustomed to the activity of it is al...but I do agree with the not babying them too.....the only reason for the fake acrylic driftwood in my tanks is esthetics for me really...lol...they don't seem to mind having nothing else in there.
Jarrod

keno
03-30-2006, 08:27 AM
I agree about making them get used to you, dont baby them.

I have found that they will be less stressed if they are hungry when u clean the tank. After my fish pig out on beefheart i do a water change and notice they all goto the corner untill im done, however if they are very hungry when i do the water change they swim all around the hose and my hands looking for food.

This has worked for me however your mileage may vary :)

KIWI13
03-30-2006, 11:29 AM
well I tought you were the one peed off when I read the title.. I thought to myself "oh no what have the damn fish done now" LMAO

But its the fish that are peed so theres no sweat.... Just relax and have a beer and they'll get over it.

Jason:)

BIGFOOT
03-30-2006, 08:29 PM
well I tought you were the one peed off when I read the title.. I thought to myself "oh no what have the damn fish done now" LMAO

But its the fish that are peed so theres no sweat.... Just relax and have a beer and they'll get over it.

Jason:)

LoL. If these fish give a lot of problems you might see another post titled REALLY PEED OFF. And this time it will be me. lol :D