PDA

View Full Version : interesting science on fish gender and oxygen...

brewmaster15
03-30-2006, 04:01 PM
http://www.comcast.net/news/science/index.jsp?cat=SCIENCE&fn=/2006/03/29/356599.html

basically it indicates that oxygen levels in the water may affect the hormones that in turn determine the sex of fish....oxygen starved waters produce more males..

I wonder...we know that discus come from warm water...warm water hold less oxygen than cold water... I wonder if the water temp of discus and oxygen levels affect the sex traits and hormones etc. of discus... also....maybe thats why many have luck with using cooler water to stimulate spawning..

just thinking.

-al

Ryan
03-30-2006, 04:16 PM
I read this the other day and was wondering when it would get posted here :) It's a really interesting article. I always knew pH affected the gender ratios of some fish (like kribs), but I never considered temperature.

Ryan

raglanroad
03-31-2006, 05:41 AM
Al, I heard of another fish study showing reduced fertility in males under hypoxia conditions, and even temporary hypoxia sometimes had permanent effects.

Westie
03-31-2006, 06:34 AM
Yeah, and I read that overpopulization leads to homosexuality.:angel: Woops...:argue:

Jarrod
03-31-2006, 08:27 AM
Al...very interesting concept! Now I got something else to think about..lol
Jarrod

JeffreyRichard
03-31-2006, 02:53 PM
http://www.comcast.net/news/science/index.jsp?cat=SCIENCE&fn=/2006/03/29/356599.html

....oxygen starved waters produce more males..

-al

So what you're saying is that all males are brain-dead ... hmmm ...Don't tell my wife about this ... she find some way to use this against our gender

DISCUS USA
03-31-2006, 08:53 PM
Westie you funny.. lol..

interesting thread non the less.. mind expanding stuff here..

cobalt
04-02-2006, 05:18 AM
also bartolie in 1996 indicated that in tilapia higher temp produces more males .
I think that discus breed better in slightly chilled water due to the fact that their breeding season is late winter.
that make fine sense from an evolutinary standpoint , the discus feed their young slime so it is best to breed when best for the parents (winter) and not when best for the fry (summer)

anyway, sadly most women think that men are braind dead until they see a mouse in the house.

kaceyo
04-02-2006, 11:32 AM
In many reptiles the sex is determined completely by temperature. Breeders can produce clutches of entirly one sex or the other by controling temp. It would be interesting to experiment with oxygen levels and see if we could affect the percentages of a chosen sex.

Kacey