PDA

View Full Version : She Did Not Get In To Berkeley ~

Kindredspirit
03-31-2006, 08:05 PM
We just learned that Amber, my daughter, was not accepted into UC Berkeley ~ which was her first choice ~

She took it quite well! Better than I thought ~ there were 49,000 applicants for only 9,000 spots ~ wow!

S0oooooo......UC Davis is it ~ only 30 min from us as opposed to an hour and half ~

and life goes on ~

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_4_10.gif

candyl70
03-31-2006, 08:27 PM
Sorry to hear she didn't get in Marie. But Davis is a great school too.

Candy

Kindredspirit
03-31-2006, 08:57 PM
Your killin me here, Candy ~

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_4_10.gif

AmberC
03-31-2006, 09:13 PM
Aww I'm sorry she didn't get her first pick, but I am sure.. especially with a mom like you.. that she will excel no matter where she is!

Amber

billeagan
04-01-2006, 12:29 AM
Marie,
Sorry to hear that... Maybe you should buy her a huge fish tank and fill it with Discus to cheer her up =)

ronman
04-01-2006, 04:46 AM
Marie,

All I can say is it's Berkeley's Loss,
You don't need a good school to come out on top.

Ron

Kindredspirit
04-01-2006, 08:53 AM
Ron ~ Thank you ~ that was very nice and ya know, that is so true as I was just thinking that other day ~

Bill~ you are too funny, Sir! She helps me take care of mine ~ Hey Bill is your discus site , Absolute Discus Farm? I was just at that one ~ it is based out of Malasia? (sp) I am not sure that is you or not!

Amber ~ That was very kind to say, thanks, woman!

Jarrod
04-01-2006, 09:12 AM
Marie...bummer that she didn't get her choice of schools!...so has she got a second choice to think of? I really hope she gets into another college that will offer her the courses she wants to take. Alll my best to her and you.
Jarrod

billeagan
04-03-2006, 01:00 AM
Ron ~ Thank you ~ that was very nice and ya know, that is so true as I was just thinking that other day ~

Bill~ you are too funny, Sir! She helps me take care of mine ~ Hey Bill is your discus site , Absolute Discus Farm? I was just at that one ~ it is based out of Malasia? (sp) I am not sure that is you or not!

Amber ~ That was very kind to say, thanks, woman!

Marie,

I have an ebay store, www.absolutelydiscus.com , one of these days I'll turn it into a "real" website =)

BTW, has your daughter decided on a major??? Accountants rock =)

cobaltblue
04-03-2006, 01:25 AM
If she is anything like you Marie, she will excel in anything she does and anywhere she chooses to do it. :angel:

Kindredspirit
04-03-2006, 01:50 AM
Marie...bummer that she didn't get her choice of schools!...so has she got a second choice to think of? I really hope she gets into another college that will offer her the courses she wants to take. Alll my best to her and you.
Jarrod

Hey Jarrod ~ She applied at UC Davis and UCLA, which both accepted her ~ But...she really wanted Berkeley ~ She will go to Davis...that was her second choice~

Bill ~ Thanks for the info.....My daughter wants to study Psychology ( that so doesnt look right ) Get into that criminal mind ~

Chris ~ That was by far the kindest words I have heard this day ~ I needed that ~ I think my contacts are floating a tad....Thank you ~

M~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_4_10.gif

JimmyB
04-03-2006, 01:45 PM
Marie: Don't fret about it.......they all use the same text books..........some just charge more for it than others....

White Worm
04-03-2006, 04:45 PM
Too much troubled influence at Berkeley anyway. Bunch of yuppies. She will do great @ Davis. If all else fails, she can join the Air Force. I happen to know a great recruiter, LMAO.

aben
04-05-2006, 02:23 AM
I'm still new to the forum, but I had to post a reply to this post.

If your daughter really wants to go to Cal, please have her consider going to a community college and transferring as a junior.

I did that after applying out of state and being rejected by Cal, but being accepted by UCLA and a few other schools around the country.

She'll get the same diploma if she's accepted as a junior transfer and graduates from CAL and she'll save a whole lot of money!

All she needs to do is stay focused, keep in contact with the Psych Dept at CAL, and make sure that she does well in her classes in community college. It's not a guarantee that she'll get in, but I would think her chances would be good if she has a high GPA in community college. Remember, she'll only be competing against the other folks in community college who are trying to transfer, not all of the high school graduates from around the country.

BTW - If your daughter has an interest in Psych, she'll probably have to go to grad' school anways. And, CAL, like a lot of schools, likes to see their graduates go to other schools for graduate schooling.

Good luck!

aben

PS - Mikscus - my old man is AF retired - 21 years - the last 8 as a recruiter :-). I still went to CAL. *LOL*

Kindredspirit
04-05-2006, 07:54 AM
Hey Jimmy~ that is sooooo true! Thank you!

Mikey ~ So ya know a great recruiter do ya? His name wouldnt be MIKE now would it?? LOL!

Aben ~ Welcome to Simply ~ I am glad you 'just had to post' to this one, Aben!

You are definitely correct in your plan ~ and I have suggested this route many times ( and it still very well may happen ) but she so does not want to go to a community college to get her general education first ~ she wants to go straight to a UC ~

Which I am to blame I am sure ~ Since my kids were three " you do not want to just grow up and get married with 20 kids and no degree , you must be independent FIRST" Hell I think we even made it into a Nursery Song!....I 'directed' their thinking this way ~ I have seen many lose focus....with friends, lovers and whatnot....in that two years at their community college ~ and they never make it to that UC ~ How to instill ambition and motivation in kids these days, I believe, is one of our greatest challenges as parents~

She will not budge on this I am afraid ~ I have created a monster, Aben! So ~ you attended Cal? How cool is that? Amber and her boyfriend both took Amtrack down to the City and spent the day at Berkeley ~ She came home and talked of nothing else ~

But the Best of the Best is granted placement ~ Her bf was actually excepted, Aben, but not for the Fall but for the Spring of 2007! And....they will not provide any housing? What is up with that one? Definitely trippin there, ya think? Sooooooo this kid is suppose to commute? From Sac to Berk? umm.....No~

Thank You, Aben for your thoughts ~ Very much appreciated, Sir!

Kindredspirit
04-05-2006, 08:01 AM
Aben ~ I just email Amber what you had to say... even tho her desk is like four feet from mine in my office here ~ but ~ the girl tends to soak in better what she reads as opposed to hear my mouth!

Thank You Again~

M~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_3_19.gif