PDA

View Full Version : My first Discus!

cutter
04-04-2006, 12:48 PM
Hi all, i'm a newbie to the Discus world. I've been browsing the formus for several months but only started posting recently. The sheer volume of information gathered here is amazing. These are the pics from my tank.

cutter
04-04-2006, 12:50 PM
Hi all, i'm a newbie to the Discus world. I've been browsing the formus for several months but only started posting recently. The sheer volume of information gathered here is amazing. These are the pics from my tank.
Second pic

cutter
04-04-2006, 12:51 PM
Second pic
Third!

cutter
04-04-2006, 12:53 PM
Third!
That was the last one. I know they just can't be compared to yours, but it's a start, so be kind!

yee
04-04-2006, 01:06 PM
That was the last one. I know they just can't be compared to yours, but it's a start, so be kind!

OK....Same do I , IS YOUR FAVORITE'S SO KEEP ON GOING, but.... one day you will go crazy.... :)

Jarrod
04-04-2006, 01:08 PM
Cutter...you have a beautiful setup and gorgeous fish!...congrats on it..your hard work and the results of it show!! Great job!
Jarrod

eahkmh
04-04-2006, 01:55 PM
Cutter it looks like you are doing a fine job so far. Just baby them, devote almost your entire life to them and they will be fine. lol. Get ready for your new tanks also.

cutter
04-04-2006, 02:13 PM
Thank you all for your kind words... and to think that I was hesitant to post pics because i thought that you'd eat me alive! You know the amount of work it takes to keep discus happy; it's just nice to have people who know much more about discus encourage you; then you know you must be doing SOMETHING right!
I do have one question though. Looking at the eyes of all my discus, i think that they are kinda big when compared to the rest of the body. Could you please tell me whether it's just my idea or if i'm right? And if i am, is there anything i can do about it or once it happens it's just too late to rectify it. If it helps, i use tap water (pH 7.5), i do 40% water changes every other day, i have 2 filters (1 internal, 1 external eheim 2215) and feed 4 times daily beefheart and tetra bits.
Thanks again.

CAGE-RATTLER
04-04-2006, 03:01 PM
Nice setup cutter!!

The eye to body ratio looks ok to me and they still look young so 4 feedings a day should grow them out nicely.

Feeding beefheart 4 times a day ...... i would keep an eye on your parameters tho. Beefheart will foul the water pretty quickly.

You might also want to feed some frozen hikari bloodworms & brine shrimp......... they love those and a bigger variety is always better.

cutter
04-04-2006, 03:35 PM
Actually, i feed them 2 times tetra bits and 2 times beefheart daily, so it's not that bad (i think, at least!) But honestly, with 40% water changes every other day, how bad can it get? I'll buy some test kits however, just to be on the safe side.

AADiscus
04-04-2006, 03:39 PM
Cutter, don't hestiate to posts pictures or even questions you might have on discus here at Simply. As long as you enjoy your fish that is all that matters. Looks like you have done good with them.

steve.ryall
04-05-2006, 08:39 AM
Hey Cutter,

Nice set-up, great looking fish too. I like your Red Scribble, I have one almost identical to it, I posted a pic of it here once, not too long ago, if I find the link I'll forward it to you. found it , here goes

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=48294

Steve

Audrey
04-05-2006, 12:33 PM
I don't think their eyes look too big either, they look good to me. Seem healthy and colorful.

I agree with Cage, pick up some Hikari frozen blood worms, your discus will love them! More variety, the better.

Audrey

candyl70
04-05-2006, 02:23 PM
Cutter,

Your tank looks great! I love planted tanks. Fish look nice and happy too. I bet they like to swim through all the plants you have. :D

cutter
04-05-2006, 04:25 PM
Cutter,

Your tank looks great! I love planted tanks. Fish look nice and happy too. I bet they like to swim through all the plants you have. :D

Thanks candyl70,
I was hesitant at first to go with a planted discus tank, especially since i'm a beginner, since most of you guys seem to prefer bare bottom. And yeah, i guess that compared to a bare bottom, my tank is a pain to clean, but i find plants way too beautiful to say no to!!!

Cage, Audrey, correct me if i'm wrong but i believe that feeding frozen blood worms is generally not recommended because of the disease factor. Isn't it advisable to always play it safe and stick to beeheart and tetra bits?

pcsb23
04-05-2006, 04:31 PM
Cage, Audrey, correct me if i'm wrong but i believe that feeding frozen blood worms is generally not recommended because of the disease factor. Isn't it advisable to always play it safe and stick to beeheart and tetra bits?

Frozen bloodworm is a fine food to feed to discus, just make sure you get a good brand, one that irradiates them (kills all the potential nasties).

Nice tank, hope the tennellus grows in well, looks great when it does.

trusty
04-05-2006, 06:18 PM
hik bloodworms are fine i think the other types . i feed mine beefheart,bloodworms,tetrabits,discus delight etc

trusty
04-05-2006, 06:19 PM
i heard the tubifex worms where a no-no