PDA

View Full Version : Aggression - Need Help/Options...

coltrane73
04-04-2006, 02:05 PM
hi all.

i've been a discus keeper for about 2 years now. within the last month i have moved to a new residence. i prepared diligently to move the tank, but in the end three of my younger discus didn't survive the move.

so now instead of 7 discus, i'm down to 4. all 4 are "medium" size (young adult, approximately 5 to 7 inches from nose to tail). all are healthy and eat well. they reside in a 75 gallon gravel bottom tank with driftwood and fake plants along with 1 pleco, 1 syno cat, 2 cories and 8 rummy nose tetras.

now down to 4, my surviving discus seem very aggressive towards each other. there is no real "tank bully"...they all chase each other...but occasionally the smallest one gets some additional attention.

so not wanting any more casualties, i'm thinking about adding some new fish to the tank.

here are my options:

3 to 4 juvi sized discus (smaller than my 4)
3 to 4 adult sized discus (same size as my 4)
3 to 4 of something else (rams, angels)
another school of dithers (rainbows, congo tetras)
leave the tank alone/do nothing

obviously a QT process will need to take place regardless of what i attempt to add to the tank. the problem with getting 3 or 4 adult size is finding the room to set up a QT tank big enough...my place is small and my better half is already exhibiting a commendable level of tolerance :D

does anyone have any suggestions? it's easy to stock a discus tank in the beginning when the tank is empty...just buy a bunch of discus! but i think this situation calls for some serious thought and planning.

thanks in advance!

AADiscus
04-04-2006, 03:17 PM
I would say get about 4-5 juvies (smaller than what you have now). I wouldn't go real small though. I would say 3" size. They should be fine with the other ones. Or you could leave the tank alone, but maybe rearrange the tank stuff and see if that helps. With a 75 gal you could have approx 8 discus as long as your wc are frequent.

coltrane73
04-05-2006, 10:51 AM
thanks Angela. yes, i've already done some rearranging but they're still pretty fired up. still hard to tell if the aggression is due to food competition or mating. i may try a small batch of 5 juvis. that would give me 9 in a 75 gallon. too crowded?

anybody else have ideas? thanks!

pcsb23
04-05-2006, 04:14 PM
I'd go with another 4 or so juvvies, a little smaller than current stock, 8 or 9 discus in a 75 is fine, just keep up with the w/c, 3 x weekly would do ok.

I agree with the size Angela suggests, 3" to 4" should be fine.

I would not add other species as it will no effect on the aggression, it is 99% of the time species specific.

hth,