PDA

View Full Version : Ehiem 2600 vs The Fluval FX5 vs ??

John Edwards
04-04-2006, 05:02 PM
Hello again folks. Post number 2.

Seems the thought is that with a planted discus tank a cannister filter is the way to go.

Looking at the new FX5 or the Ehiem 2600 or ??

Both have features that I consider important. And some that I question.

The FX5 has a water change valve but that would not be hard to rig up on a Ehiem return line with a couple ball valves and a tee. The Ehiem has a larger intake hose diameter.

The Ehiem has a choice of media. What would you folks sugguest for media for a planted Discus thank ?

Given a choice what would you purchase ? Perhaps there is another brand I am overlooking ?

Still learning with a long way to go.

Thanks for your time and paitence.

Dood Lee
04-04-2006, 05:20 PM
What is the eheim 2600? I've never seen that model before. Are you talking about the eheim classic 2660?

John Edwards
04-04-2006, 06:16 PM
Thanks Mr. "D" a slip of the ole finger there.

Indeed it would be the 2660

Thanks for the correction and all the help.

Cosmo
04-04-2006, 06:28 PM
I'm not familiar with that Eheim model number either, but ... with cannisters Eheim is the only way to go. They're quiet, efficient, and run forever. Eheim media is excellent too.. don't waste your money on the ehfisubstrat Pro though, the standard ehfisubstrat is just fine and much less $$.

If you don't like the green intake tubes and spraybars with EHEIM in bold white letters that come with them, pickup the Installation Kit #1 and Installation Kit #2 to replace them... a nice smoke gray color with screw off caps for starting or breaking the syphon.

You're correct on the use of T's and ball valves for the drainage too, except if you do that put a checkvalve in the line to keep the drain line water from entering your filter/tank :) Or, you could just pickup a set of Eheim double tap connectors and use one on the end on your drain tube to swap it onto the filter output when you want to drain... just don't forget to open the valves first... I blew up a cannister once (literally :p )when I forgot to do that :o

Jim

Cosmo
04-04-2006, 06:32 PM
John... 2260 maybe :confused: That's a monster!!

Dood Lee
04-04-2006, 10:36 PM
Check the Fluvial FX5 thread in this section. I have already discussed the pros and cons (IMO) of both the FX5 and the 2260.