PDA

View Full Version : I scared the fish in my community tank.

lito
04-06-2006, 11:30 AM
Over the weekend, one of my tank broke. Needless to say the water soak the carpeted floor. I have to use my wet and dry vacuum to suck most of the water. I created noise.
Before this happen, they will almost eat on my hand during feeding time and will eat like a pig. They will swim around.
Since the vacuuming of the floor happen they all stay in one side of the tank. They would never swim around like before. They will not eat the food when I am around. I think I scared them.
What am I suppose so they will eat when I feed them and swim around during my presence.
Thanks in advance for your help.

White Worm
04-06-2006, 12:40 PM
Mine are always very friendly until something out of the ordinary happens. Just give them about 24 hours and they will be back to normal. Mine all move to one end of the tank when I do a whole tank cleaning. They get a little worried and then they are fine a few hours later. If not back to normal in a day or so, check water parameters and make sure nothing bad has happened. You vacuuming might have just been coincidence.

AADiscus
04-06-2006, 03:51 PM
They are probably scared you are going to break there tank. lol :D

Give them a few days. Did your wet vac spray any of the water you were soaking up into that tank? I know sometimes when those get full they shoot water out the filter thingy. Just a possibility.

Jarrod
04-06-2006, 04:49 PM
Over the weekend, one of my tank broke. Needless to say the water soak the carpeted floor. I have to use my wet and dry vacuum to suck most of the water. I created noise.
Before this happen, they will almost eat on my hand during feeding time and will eat like a pig. They will swim around.
Since the vacuuming of the floor happen they all stay in one side of the tank. They would never swim around like before. They will not eat the food when I am around. I think I scared them.
What am I suppose so they will eat when I feed them and swim around during my presence.
Thanks in advance for your help.

I'm assuming the tank that broke emptied to the point that you had to move the fish into another tank? If yes then it would be to me like putting them into a completlely new environment . The noise alone to me would be enough to cause them to stress just a bit due to vibrations and such coming into the tank. Just give them a little time and turn out the tank lites for a while to let them "calm" down a bit after this "kerfluffel" (meaning the sudden shock to their "world") The noise,movement and vibration from the vac not to mention the loss of water from their world would be enuff in my case to cause me to stress and not want to eat for a little while.JMHO is all
Jarrod

lito
04-07-2006, 10:47 AM
The tank that broke is not the one where I have the fish. I did not have to move the fish. The tank that broke is at the bottom level and the tank where the fish are in is on the top.
I will turn off the regular lights and leave the night light on. How is that?
Thanks for your reply.

I'm assuming the tank that broke emptied to the point that you had to move the fish into another tank? If yes then it would be to me like putting them into a completlely new environment . The noise alone to me would be enough to cause them to stress just a bit due to vibrations and such coming into the tank. Just give them a little time and turn out the tank lites for a while to let them "calm" down a bit after this "kerfluffel" (meaning the sudden shock to their "world") The noise,movement and vibration from the vac not to mention the loss of water from their world would be enuff in my case to cause me to stress and not want to eat for a little while.JMHO is all
Jarrod