PDA

View Full Version : can't get past the egg eating...

utiliy
04-06-2006, 09:22 PM
well folks-she seems to lay eggs about every 2-3 weeks....she lays them, and he eats them....they are a young pair, i am filtering peat, ph about 6.5.
still in the egg eating stage, i can sit on the bed when they do this, still looks like the pac-man game. this is about there 5-6 egg laying(pac-man) game.
just what do i need to do for them to take off and be parents?
thanks, Rich

Giniel
04-07-2006, 02:13 AM
I have noticed that a lot of people have looked here but no one answers. I really don't know what to tell you as I have the same problem with a beautiful giant male. I am presently trying a different female but no eggs yet to eat.
Debbie

04-07-2006, 09:50 AM
If I understand you correctly that it is only the 5th or 6th time laying(that you have seen), don't be worried yet. On average it takes more attempts than that. I know it's hard but be patient and let them keep practicing. If after 10 or 12 attempts they still fail then I would put them back in a comm tank to rest and try again after couple weeks. You could even do this now just to shake things up. If this is a young pair,1 or 1.5 years old then just stick with it and they will hopefully get it right. Be prepared, there is a slim chance the male may never get it right, this is why breeding discus is so rewarding when it all comes together!

utiliy
04-08-2006, 11:47 PM
yes, at least 6-7 times she laid eggs...the male just better get it! i keep looking in the community tank, and well-no male has stepped up to the plate yet.

CliffsDiscus
04-09-2006, 12:08 AM
What you need to do is to force another male to pair up with the female.
The next time the female is ready to spawn pull the egg eater male out.
Throw in 2 to 3 males, the female will pick one of those guys, almost right away if your Discus are in good condition, take out the rejected males. If the
female is on her cycle she will spawn right away. Instant match making.

Cliff

kaceyo
04-09-2006, 01:31 PM
Take Cliffs advice. 3 days ago I had a pair and the male wasn't getting the job done, for a different reason, but it amount's to the same thing. I pulled out the male she picked and put in an untried male that I picked. Today they have a couple of hundred eggs (screened) that I have high hopes for. Good luck.

Kacey

utiliy
04-09-2006, 08:48 PM
o.k.-so just how do i tell a male, from a female? i have 2 good size white ones, and another tangerine that is good size. the 2 that has paired off-and in the 29g by themselves paired off in the 75g community tank. so-what should i really do-throw them back in the 75g tank and let her pair off with another-or put a few of the big ones in the 29g tank-and let her choose? and just how do i know she excepted a male? these 2 do funny stuff in the 29g tank...make weird movements, and shake a little when the female is ready to lay eggs.

kaceyo
04-09-2006, 09:52 PM
If you don't know which are males, take a guess and pick a couple that would make a good cross. Remove her current mate and put in the new ones, then watch their behavior. let her pick another mate and hopefully it will be a male. As it is, you don't know yet if her current mate is a male. They will bob their heads at each other as they pass by and swim together. The odd behavior you notice in the first pair is what you're looking for.

Kacey

barron
04-11-2006, 09:04 PM
Treat both fish for worms.

Jimmy L brings his "C.E.E.S.O.B.", short for Chronic Egg Eating SOB close to death with a long PP bath and after their near death experience they turn out to be good at raising fry.

steve.ryall
04-12-2006, 05:25 AM
Utiliy,

I dont think anyone has mentioned yet that if you have egg eaters, why not get some wire mesh and cover over the eggs until they hatch.
There are several posts here that explain where you can get the mesh from, I think most people get plastic covered stuff from a garden centre. Being in the UK I cannot recommend where you can go, but I am sure someone will help you out.
Just place the wire over the eggs so that the parents can see them but not eat them. The mesh should be placed about 10mm from the eggs so that the parents can fan them as normal. It does work, I have done this myself.

Hth,

Steve :)

Giniel
04-13-2006, 12:58 AM
That works if he will fertilize them instead of eat them as she lays them. Any ideas to keep him from eating them as she lays them?

Debbie

CliffsDiscus
04-13-2006, 02:34 PM
Once some of these Discus gets the taste for caviar there's no telling when they will stop, it may be never. Even some of the best pairs will eat their
eggs from time to time. The breeder may not want to break up a well match couple(Ben and Jen), there is the dither fish method, this is by adding the dither or third Discus into the same aquarium.
By adding the third Discus the male may guard and fertilize the eggs instead of
eating them as the female lays them. The other way by remating the female is far better than adding
the third Discus, especially if a fertile male is remated with the female, the success is greater. There is no black and white method
in breeding Discus only grey.

Cliff

utiliy
04-23-2006, 09:14 PM
well-only gray i can beleive-as i looked in the community tank and seen the a blue discus laying eggs on the intake tube....i wonder, could i put the female in the 29g tank with the pair-and see if the eggs will be taken care of?

kaceyo
04-23-2006, 10:24 PM
You never know for sure what will work but putting another egg laying female in the breeder tank wouldn't be your best choice. You already have a good female so another laying female might create a whole new set of problems. I think you'd be better off trying any of the others. Or deworming, which worked for me once. JMO

Kacey

zhiCali
05-10-2006, 12:49 AM
Our female lays eggs for the second time today. It's too frustrated seeing the eggs gone and the female being so helpless ..

thanks ..