PDA

View Full Version : Need some bulldogs!!

MiamiDan
04-07-2006, 11:53 AM
Anybody has a link for these? Wayne's Bulldogs.

Discusgeo2
04-07-2006, 12:57 PM
Contact Frank at Gold Mt. Discus in the sponsor section. He can get bulldogs but they won't be from Wayne. They won't be cheap either from what I was told, you might even need a bank loan.

CODISCUS
04-07-2006, 06:16 PM
The Bulldogs in the picture are Blue Knights. I think Frank has or had some of these about a month ago.

Mike

discusfire4
04-07-2006, 10:22 PM
Wow. How much are we talkin' each?

Discusgeo2
04-08-2006, 05:26 AM
Ask Frank!

wheeler
05-05-2006, 12:06 AM
quick question for you. what are the characteristics of a bulldog? all these different strains kinda makes your head spin!

MiamiDan
05-05-2006, 09:45 AM
quick question for you. what are the characteristics of a bulldog? all these different strains kinda makes your head spin!

"bulldog" is not a strain, but a characteristic of the body. Usually when the body is taller than longer, it is considered a high-fin, high-body. Some people call them "standing eggs". Now, if the fish has this type of body & also has the blunt face, then it can be considered a "bulldog". Here's a Red Spotted Green, considered a "bulldog". They are kinda funny looking. Some people love them, some hate them..

hexed
05-05-2006, 01:39 PM
Dan,
Thanks for the info! I never really knew what a "bulldog" was :)
Now I do ;)
Frank :angel:

MiamiDan
05-05-2006, 02:42 PM
Dan,
Thanks for the info! I never really knew what a "bulldog" was :)
Now I do ;)
Frank :angel:
You're welcomed. Now, here is a Standing Egg, but IMHO, not a Bulldog :D ain't them pretty!!

MiamiDan
05-05-2006, 03:34 PM
Now, here's an AKC Bulldog,...notice the dropping cheeks. IMHO, for a Discus to be called a bulldog, the gill plates most be forward-slanted & resemble the cheeks & looks of a real bulldog...(am I setting some standards here? LOL). Most "bulldog" discus got their original characteristics from High-Fin, High-Body, Blue Diamonds. Since it is not a dominant characteristic, only a few are found within a spawn. In Asia, they are very sought after...thus they pay big bucks for them.. That's why you rarely see them in the USA

MiamiDan
05-05-2006, 03:36 PM
...and here's my Turq, bulldog-wanna-be :D ..hey, who knows, I'm investing a lot of bloodworms to grow this little guy right..

OIF03VET
05-05-2006, 04:59 PM
I think I read in Discus the Naked Truth that the Bulldog has a deformity of the spine. Rather than being relativly straight it is curved up, shortening the fishes body and making it look taller. Correct me if I am wrong. I will have to reread that section tonight.

kaceyo
05-05-2006, 05:24 PM
I don't know about whats in the book but I've heard they have fewer virtabrea, but then someone came along and said no they don't. I would like to know for sure. The true BD's are said to have 5 stress bars too.

Kacey

MiamiDan
05-05-2006, 05:28 PM
I think I read in Discus the Naked Truth that the Bulldog has a deformity of the spine. Rather than being relativly straight it is curved up, shortening the fishes body and making it look taller. Correct me if I am wrong. I will have to reread that section tonight.

You are correct. Some people do consider the bulldogs deformed. Personally, I don't consider it a deformity, in the sense of being born with one eye, etc and truly handicapped. The trait is not dominant, but it appears frequently enough as not to consider it a deformity. A spine deformity I would imagine would cause a fish to swim awkward. The only handicap I see my fish to have is that his face is so straight that he really has to go vertical when eating from the bottom of the tank. These type of fish live a normal life otherwise. They are also known not to grow to large either. Still....some people just love them! ;)

JimmyL
05-29-2006, 01:17 PM
great