PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Discus in a pond

MississaugaJohn
04-07-2006, 03:52 PM
Hi

Here in Canada during the summer months I take some of my tropical fish out to my pond ( platties, pleco) between may-Oct . When I take them out they are much bigger and their colour is amazing from all the live food they must be eating in the pond ( I dont need to feed them at all)

I was wondering has anyone ever had Discus in their backyard pond?

Carol_Roberts
04-07-2006, 04:06 PM
Yes, Beth (from Louisanna I think) tried them in a pool with some angels. As I recall the angels fared better than the discus . . . .

diskboy
04-07-2006, 04:37 PM
i would go with carol because how would you keep a pond at 82-84 degrees which discus like?

qoperator
04-07-2006, 08:13 PM
A big A$$ heater! LOL

goheel
04-07-2006, 10:19 PM
I would think that if you live in the South, the water would get into the 80s range easily in the summer.

fishfarm
04-07-2006, 10:33 PM
It'd be easy here in Georgia, I'd just worry about the Blue Herons, they cleaned us out of koi, Ken

Westie
04-08-2006, 01:33 AM
I've has success with koi and goldfish, even when we've hit freezing. I don't think i'd do discus outside unless I had sooo many I'd think of culling second.

wheeler
04-09-2006, 12:54 AM
just get yourself an industrial size boiler unit to heat the pond to the correct temp and have at it...LOL.

i don't think it would work too well up here in the great north. even in the evenings in the summer, it does still get a little chilly.

Ryan
04-09-2006, 01:07 AM
In the coming weeks I might be pond-raising some angelfish... or, pool-raising, rather :)

I'm in Florida and the weather down here is great for outdoor vats and pools if you can keep raccoons and birds (and lizards and spiders and...) away. If I remember correctly from Beth's experiment a few years ago, she was a little disappointed with the growth of the discus, but her angels did amazing.

Ryan