PDA

View Full Version : Off the wall:

ricmod
04-08-2006, 04:47 AM
This has nothing to do with Discus, but am looking for some first hand info. Many of you are from all over, so I'm thinking that some one hs to have some first hand info on SATELLITE BROADBAND INTERNET ACCESS. I've been reading tons of forums but still not sure about the money, is it worth it? I'm in the weeds here and dial-up is so slow, but know other opthion availible. So can anyone give me any insight. Sorry that this is so far off theDiscus forum.

Rich

Spices
04-08-2006, 06:05 AM
Rich, from what I've been reading up on and my experiences with Satellite Internet, it seems like it is worth getting but the price, as you said, is pricey.

Many corporations uses Satellite Internet for the ease of uninterrupted service provided by Satellite (less wiring also, especially if there are multiple PC/MAC stations to connect).

In my area, it is pricey to start. One must purchase the dish which is about 3.5 feet in diameter and is a couple of hundreds of dollars. Then the monthly charge is somewhere in the US$65.00 range.

I guess it is good for those with plenty of $$$$. I'm just not the lucky one to behold it. :)

**Angie**

Ryan
04-08-2006, 10:50 AM
I live in a very rural area and those are our only two options as well. We use it here, but sometimes it doesn't work that great. If it's cloudy/raining or the wind is blowing pretty strong, you get a very poor signal.

Also, they don't come right out and tell you, but if you read the Service Agreement they have a "Fair Access Policy" which limits how much you can download per day. It's a small number, only a couple hundred megs or so. You download a few songs and video clips, and you've reached your download limit. When that happens, they put a cap on your download speed which is comparable to dial-up and it stays that way until the next day. I don't like that at all. When I try to do back-ups of Simply (which are large files) I get about halfway through downloading them and it just grinds to a halt.

It's not a bad option because in general it is usually better than dial-up, but it's pricey and be prepared to get frustrated with it. I wish they would just give us DSL already!

Ryan

AmazonRainbows
04-08-2006, 12:19 PM
One of my customer is using kangooru,
The downstream is OK but upstream is weak. They have to upgrade free for the next speed size to make it work OK. Event with this I feel it's a weak link for remote desktop :( If he touch the modem then everything goes wrong. Not a very reliable technology to offer. I use alot of them in africa and it was worse. Well my custumer is satisfy and say he almost never lost the connection except when big storm happend. I guest it depend on your need and what you are use to in internet connection quality.

chinoz
04-08-2006, 12:38 PM
I had it before..all i can say about it is it's horrible. Upload is slow for sure. Everytime it snow, rain, thunder, etc...i lost connection.....DONT GET IT...!!! :D :D :D :D

Timbo
04-08-2006, 04:06 PM
ya the highspeed only works one way...download

bennyblanco
04-08-2006, 05:32 PM
get dsl its cheap and it works good!!!

korbi_doc
04-08-2006, 05:58 PM
get dsl its cheap and it works good!!!

So how do I get DSL living in the boondocks???? When I move to Tn, there is only dial-up or satellite, where do I find DSL???? tia . Dottie;)

Timbo
04-08-2006, 08:16 PM
dottie, check here for availability in the shiloh area

http://www.t1shopper.com/service/dsl/tn/Shiloh.shtml

korbi_doc
04-09-2006, 06:28 PM
Hey Timbo, tried last nite & again today; just get an error cuz they can't find something "conf" 'bout the referer....lol.... On the list of providers is Bell South, which should have been my phone provider & all would have been well, but some mongrel that provides Shiloh took over, & I'm shut out...I'm about 5 miles or less from an easy set-up...C'est la vie, Dottie ;)

ricmod
04-09-2006, 11:17 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Wish DSL was an option, Dial-Up or Sat. is all thats availible. One of the downfalls of wanting piece and quite.

Rich

Ryan
04-09-2006, 11:31 PM
Amen, Rich. We live in a small town (approx. 1200 residents). The town 5 miles south of us, where I just moved from, had cable when I lived there... and got DSL last month. My dad used to work for Bellsouth, who provides DSL, and he found out from some Bellsouth buddies of his that our town is actually DSL-ready... the phone company just won't activate it because supposedly there's not enough interest here to justify offering the service.

I guess what really upsets me is that the second a little cable company came in and decided to offer cable, Bellsouth would kill themselves trying to get the DSL in here as soon as possible to compete. That's how Bellsouth works... they go where there's competition and try to steal members from other companies, rather than going to a place where they'd actually have a solid, no-competition market and a customer base like us.

Oh well... guess if I want high speed I need to find a house in Pierson... lol. I miss my cable :(

Ryan