PDA

View Full Version : Need some help please

rye22
04-08-2006, 07:00 PM
I am somewhat new at this whole discus thing? i just got some Discus (blue scorpions) about 2-3 inches. I am QT them in a 10 gal tank with 1 capsule of Furan 2 a day with a 80% water change every day. But they still dont seem to be eating. what should i do? should i resort to live food? please give me your input.

Cosmo
04-08-2006, 09:04 PM
First thing, call the breeder you got them from and ask for advice. Find out what they were eating before you got them.

Somewhat difficult to say with the little info you gave. How long ago you got them? How many? Water temp? What type of filtration? Where the filters cycled?

It's not unusual for new fish to not eat for a day or two after going through the stress of being shipped, and a 10 gal is pretty small to move even small Discus into. Number of fish effects the equation in several ways.

Furan2 is normallly used for external infections, while fish that refuse food for too long are usually treated with metronadizole, with the temp up around 92/93 degrees F.

Call the person you received the fish from, and post a little more info. In the meantime, make sure the water you're using when you do the water changes is dechlorinated/de-chloraminated (new word?), and is close to the temp and ph of the tank water... read up some on water parameters in the beginners section and the library too.

hth

Jim

rye22
04-09-2006, 11:31 AM
one of my blue scorpions seem to be doing alot better. but the other one still not so good. I have been treating them with furan 2 for about 3-4 days now. is there a time when i should stop, so i dont over treat them. What are signs where i have to use metro? right now one that i worried about has clamed fins and is some what dark and doesnt seem to be eating much. Should i stay on the furan 2 or try using metro?