PDA

View Full Version : Discus not eating

frisco008
04-09-2006, 01:41 PM
Hello all,

I have a 44 gal corner tank and have 2 blood pigeons about 2.5 to 3 inches I have a magnum 350 filter, temp is high between 84-86. I have 2 live broad spear (not sure the name of them) plants and gravel. I will be doing a water change today. I don't have tetra bits, beef heart. I have tried mysis shrimp, shrimp pellets and flake food along with very tiny pinches of tubifex and freeze dried blood worms. I have never seen them eat and I have had them for 4 days. I didn't ask the LFS what they were eating as they special ordered them for me. I have read conflicting articles of what to feed....and now I don't want to lose these beautiful fish. I don't have any salt in the tank should I? Will that increase the desire to eat? Please let me know.:( :confused:

aisarang
04-09-2006, 01:45 PM
Try frozen or live blood worms. Freeze dried feel like flake food ot them.

frisco008
04-09-2006, 01:51 PM
I don't have either but I will look into getting some....how long before they should eat when new to a tank....right away or days??? Thanks

aisarang
04-09-2006, 02:22 PM
From my experience, it depends on the fish. Try to reduce all other factors that will prohibit them from eating. Sometimes i try to put up a wallpaper around 3 of the 4 sides of the tank so that they have a greater sense of comfort. That usually aids in reducing their shyness, and in effect, encourages feeding. Frozen and live bloodworms are your best bet, but if possible choose frozen over live, as live bloodworms from a bad source can be more detrimental then starving discus. Look into aquaticfoods.com, they have next day delivery on live black worms.

frisco008
04-09-2006, 02:33 PM
I have a black background now and as for the bloodworms my LFS will be open tomorrow and I will get some then.....

Thank You

wheeler
04-09-2006, 10:05 PM
do not use the black backgroung unless you want your fish to turn black. they try to camoflage themselves with their surroundings. if you have a brighter background use that instead. if not use some wrapping paper with the white side out for now until you can get one. you could always paint the back of the tank blue.

AADiscus
04-10-2006, 11:14 AM
For starters 2 discus don't do good together. They are schooling fish and prefer more of a larger group. If you got them from a LFS then you are taking a risk of them already being sick. Do you have other fish in the tank with them? That could be a problem as well. What was the LFS feeding them? You might be better off putting them in a bb tank for now until you get them to eat then maybe move them to a planted tank. JMO

I would put a lighter color background on the tank as well.