PDA

View Full Version : My first discus!

RobMc
04-10-2006, 03:31 PM
I finally took the plunge! Eleven beautiful 2 1/2 - 3" babies arrived on Saturday from Universal Discus. I was so excited I could hardly sleep the night before--like a kid at Christmas! Then there was the fun of locating the freight terminal at the airport. They had just changed buildings last week so of course I was directed to the old location where somebody had removed the sign with directions to the new location, yadda, yadda. Finally found them under a sign for an entirely different airline! Very helpful. All were in excellent condition and the heat pack still warm, so I acclimated them and introduced them to their new 90 gallon home. By Sunday they were eating blood worms like troopers and even nibbling on their first Tetra bits. Very exciting! Thanks to everybody on this wonderful board for making it all possible! I'll post some pics as soon as I can get some good ones!

Rob :D

AADiscus
04-10-2006, 03:35 PM
Congrats Rob. How exciting!!! Can't wait to see the pictures.

goheel
04-10-2006, 04:06 PM
pics?

nacra99
04-10-2006, 04:17 PM
Oooooh congrats!!!!
Yes... pics =)

lauren0626
04-10-2006, 04:29 PM
Congrats on your new discus! Believe me this is just a beginning. You will soon have the urge to set up another tank. :p
Can't wait to see the pics.

Breadhead
04-10-2006, 04:42 PM
http://img350.imageshack.us/img350/443/worthlessthread1568jn.gif

:D

marilyn1998
04-10-2006, 05:05 PM
Congrats!!!!!! I cant wait to them!!! LEt us know what kinds they are and all.

Kindredspirit
04-10-2006, 05:26 PM
http://img350.imageshack.us/img350/443/worthlessthread1568jn.gif

:D

That isn't very nice Mr. Deadhead ~ Pics shld be posted in the Photo Gallery I think anyways! lol!

Congrats Rob! You sound very excited! Pop up some pics when ya can!

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_4_10.gif

Jarrod
04-10-2006, 08:13 PM
Rob AWESOME!!!!...congrats on the new fish!!...lol and trust me the plunge is just the first step of a helluva journey lol...sounds like you got a heck of a setup going...and yep like everyone else has said...can't wait to see pics when you get the chance to post them! LOL...now the fun begins Rob and that's learning to tread water with the discus...Congrats again and enjoy!!
Jarrod

diskboy
04-10-2006, 08:16 PM
tell us what types you have id love to hear what they are

also pics :) =-D

candyl70
04-10-2006, 08:26 PM
Congrats Rob.... let the obsession begin!!!! :D :D

nightowl1250
04-11-2006, 12:00 AM
Congrats on the discus. I've had mine for less than a month. I'm sure you will do fine with this big step.....there are many great experts on here to help you out. I read up on here and other forums for years.....I just love all the great pics on here.....before I took the plunge.

RobMc
04-11-2006, 09:39 AM
First pics; more to follow as I learn how!

Rob

Jarrod
04-11-2006, 09:54 AM
Rob...they look wonderful!!...congrats again on them:D :D
Thanks for sharing and can hardly wait to see more of them!
Jarrod

Breadhead
04-11-2006, 10:39 AM
That isn't very nice Mr. Deadhead ~ Pics shld be posted in the Photo Gallery I think anyways! lol!

Congrats Rob! You sound very excited! Pop up some pics when ya can!

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_4_10.gif

If you are going to flame me... at least spell my name right... thats Breadhead... not Deadhead... although in college I could have been called both...

p.s. Lighten up!

White Worm
04-11-2006, 03:51 PM
Dont mean to spoil the fun but dont their shape look a little off? It may just be the lighting or angle of the pics.
Hey BreadHead, I think she was kidding with you, thats what LOL (laughing out loud) means. Someone else maybe needs to lighten up a little :D

goheel
04-11-2006, 03:55 PM
Yea, I think they're football-shaped too. Maybe it's because they're juvies.

AADiscus
04-11-2006, 07:20 PM
Glad you are excited Rob. They do look a little football shape. IMO It could be the picture though. Sometimes pictures do show the fish off very good. As long as you like them though is all that matters. Take good care of them and they will thrive.

RobMc
04-11-2006, 09:39 PM
I think its my photographic skills that made them look like that. Look nicely round in person!
Golden Sun:

RobMc
04-11-2006, 09:43 PM
Red Turq:

RobMc
04-11-2006, 09:46 PM
Red Melon:

candyl70
04-11-2006, 11:07 PM
Dont mean to spoil the fun but dont their shape look a little off?

(Sorry Mike... not trying to pick on you)

Come on guys!!!! This is a beginners forum!!!! Funny cuz... i don't remember him asking for a critique. IMO that was rude.

Rob... have fun with your fish. Like Angela said as long as you like them, that is all that matters.

Candy

greyhoundfan
04-11-2006, 11:20 PM
(Sorry Mike... not trying to pick on you)

Come on guys!!!! This is a beginners forum!!!! Funny cuz... i don't remember him asking for a critique. IMO that was rude.

Rob... have fun with your fish. Like Angela said as long as you like them, that is all that matters.

Candy

Well said. I love your fish Ron, especially the red turq.

Kindredspirit
04-11-2006, 11:43 PM
I agree with Candy! If they don't ask ~ don't say ~ having said that Mike.......thanks for your words!

Enjoy those fish Rob!

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_2_20.gif

White Worm
04-12-2006, 03:10 AM
Dont mean to spoil the fun but dont their shape look a little off? It may just be the lighting or angle of the pics.
Hey BreadHead, I think she was kidding with you, thats what LOL (laughing out loud) means. Someone else maybe needs to lighten up a little :D

I thought I was being pretty polite actually and it was nice of you guys to point out my honest opinion only even though the next 2 posts agreed and you said nothing about that. Thanks! All I said was that they may be a little off shape and it could be the photo. Nothing wrong with a little opinion when someone posts some pics. Would you rather we tell people that they have awesome fish and then they continue to purchase them and not get their moneys worth? Arent we here to help or steer the beginners so they start with quality and certain breeders are not allowed to continually push low grade fish into our hobby? i thought you two especially were all for advancing the hobby with high quality? if i recall, it was you two that started with low quality like i did and I'm sure we wouldnt want to purchase low grade fish any further so why would we lead a new person into thinking that they should just enjoy them? Yes, enjoy them and get quality for your money. The last 2 pictures posted were not of the ones in the first pics. I know you both would be disappointed if you were to have paid the price plus shipping and received off shaped fish. I never said he should cull them all, so just relax a little and call off the discus police. LOL.:D

pcsb23
04-12-2006, 05:16 AM
OK guys please can we keep this on thread, if people want to have a spat do it by PM.

Rob,

Enjoy your fish, make sure they get plenty of good food and keep up with the water changes, that way you'll get the best out of them. If you need help or advice please don't be afraid to ask, most here are only too willing to help. BTW I do like what I can see of that red turq, any chace of another side on pic :D

Take care,

Kindredspirit
04-12-2006, 07:15 AM
OK guys please can we keep this on thread, if people want to have a spat do it by PM.

My apologies, Paul ~ PM it is ~ Rob I aplologize to you as well for poppin off topic!

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_15_35.gif

Timbo
04-12-2006, 07:23 AM
hehe marie is the queen of the smilies and i think your smilie skillz were viewed as a threat to her title. at least that what i think it is...(its the only thing that makes sense actually as she has about as much aggression in her as Neville Chamberlain)

Feisty Marie we'll call her:)

*EDIT* Marie! you posted just before me and i didnt see your response. man you're up early this am!

Kindredspirit
04-12-2006, 07:58 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15/15_3_31.gif

RobMc
04-12-2006, 08:04 AM
Thanks for all the kind comments people. Yes, that red turq is starting to show its colors really nicely. These are my first fish shots with my little old digital camera and I haven't quite caught on yet. As a result I'm not getting the best angles to show off my new babies. They look lovely round here, but tend to move off when they see me shooting them. Thats why I posted them here in the beginner's section! Looking at them closely I think they rank well with any of the juvies regularly posted here. Sampson Chung does an excellent job with his discus IMO. And I love them!

Rob:D

AmberC
04-12-2006, 08:13 AM
Congrats!!!
Amber

Jarrod
04-12-2006, 08:30 AM
Well said Paul!!
Jarrod

Coralred
04-12-2006, 10:25 AM
Congrat, hope you will enjoy keeping discus.