PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Melon?

JimmyB
04-11-2006, 11:09 AM
I'm trying to ID a fish that I have seen for sale. I says "red Mellon", but it is actually yellow, not orange or red. Anyone have any photos of a very light colored red mellon, or if there is such a thing, a yellow melon?

beta
04-11-2006, 11:20 AM
IMO You might have to feed Astaxanthin/color bits to retain the red colour of them melons or else they are mostly orange or yellow.

AmazonRainbows
04-11-2006, 11:40 AM
Maybe they are to young and don't start to color up. I see some red melon in a LFS and two weeks ago there where just mandarin or so. This weekend I did a step and they start to color up with red. All my super Red Melon I have get very young's don't have started to color up yet. I think they are around3 ~ 6 month.

JimmyB
04-11-2006, 11:54 AM
This one is yellow, with maybe a hint of dark grey around the edges of the fins. Almost looks like what I've seen called "Super Goldens", or "Yellows", but that's not what they are calling them at the store.

Harriett
04-13-2006, 05:12 PM
I had(have) some red melons; one little girl (stunted, but what spirit!) started out pretty yellow and she had that grey edging on her fins. Once I started adding color bits to the diet and she got a little size on her, she came out deep tomato red but kept the grey fin line like a halo around her--but they also say stunted fish frequently are more heavily colored anyhow.
Harriett