PDA

View Full Version : Please Help.....

Kindredspirit
04-14-2006, 11:19 AM
Okay Guys ~

This tank has 6 discus that I have had since last September with no problems ever ~ with them ~ ever ~

Until now ~ three days ago I added sand ...almost a 1/2" if that and some tall silk plants ~ I have this sand in the 35 gal and have used it before as it comes from our lfs ~ I cleaned it well ~

I will say that they didnt like the plants at all in the beginning and were definitely trippin ~ Omg...I can not even look at them as they are right here in my office and I know these fish they shld be cruisin around screaming for food! Did the new deco just send them over the edge? They have had sand before and there was no problem ~ I removed it cuz it was white and I didnt like it after all ~ that was months ago ~

All they do is float~ they did eat yesterday and I have not fed them yet today ~ they still have some attitude with each other and sometimes one or two will like twitch and shiver the top fins...another note of interest is that there has been a lot of fighting in this tank as of late ~ I think that their hormones may be kicking in ~

Tell me I am blowin this outta proportion ~ I have never seen these fish like this and I do not want it to escalate! I do think that the bss was trying to rub himself on a shell just now ~ Hell i dunno....:(

Thanks ~

Marie ~

Poop is normal... I will test water now ~ Please look at these pics and tell me what to do ~ I do not want it to get worse ~

Kindredspirit
04-14-2006, 11:21 AM
I am sorry that is so blurry ~ but this is so not my fish!

Kindredspirit
04-14-2006, 11:23 AM
last one ~ some do face backwards at times ~ Tell me something....and yeah I am discouraged right up there with Marilyn ....is it just a matter of time before all your discus eventually come down with something???

Thanks guys ~

AmazonRainbows
04-14-2006, 11:30 AM
Marie,

Is the plant is comming from a safe source? Did you clean it very well?

traco
04-14-2006, 11:39 AM
If there is something to hide behind, they will hide. Mine were a bit skittish when I added my silk plants and driftwood into the tank. They did the "float" thing also but eventually, things calmed down.

If they are eating, just keep an eye on them or you could take out the silk plants, see if things improve and maybe add them back in one at a time over a period of time.

AmberC
04-14-2006, 11:47 AM
Ditto Barb. If you give them someplace to hide.. more than likely they will hide. If all else seems ok (I'm sure you've checked your params?) then I would just keep an eye on them.

Amber

Kindredspirit
04-14-2006, 12:57 PM
Thanks, Ladies! I did check my parameters just now and they are:

Ammonia = 0
Ph= 7.6
NitrItes= 0
NitrAtes= 10

I guess I shld have said that they are sluggish and not really hiding all that much ~ just floating in front ~ no movement ~ not like them ~

They did all come up to eat tho!! But something is up~Amber got your message ~ find me when ya can~

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_76.gif ( < he is new! cheer this depressing thread up some)

RyanH
04-14-2006, 01:04 PM
They may be just getting used to the change and feel more timid with new things in their tank. If they are only acting sluggish but aren't showing any other signs of disease, they may just be stressed and will get over it.

Kindredspirit
04-14-2006, 01:23 PM
Thanks Ryan ~

They had better get over it cuz I am not havin it! lol!

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_1_18.gif

Alight
04-14-2006, 01:42 PM
About this age, Discus sometimes just do this. They become more aloof. They take longer when they eat, and don't eat until they buldge anymore. They are more interested in other Discus than people.

The plants probably just exacerbated the attitude thing. Keep up the water changes in case something is coming off the plants. If it is, it should soon be washed away and diluted and nothing to worry about--but I think it's just that they need some time to accomodate to the plants and that they are at an age where they may begin to ignore you more.

marilyn1998
04-14-2006, 01:53 PM
Sissy,

I will give you my NORMAL thoughts here. I think at that age the fin thing and the ruffling is normal show-off sexual behviour. I have the same size discus as you and they act like that. Also, I agree, they dont like change, specially change like THAT much.. adding sand and plants and you having your hands in the water that long to do it. My 2 cents.... they need to deal. They have been around long enough, they know the drill. And we NEVER leave things in their home alone! :) They need time to adjust. Just like if you came home tomorrow and I painted your entire house my favorite colors.
As far as them flashing some, could be testing the shell to see what it is.

Mine occasionally just float around, get behind deco and line up. Mine even watch TV. honestly!!! they do!!! Should see em when shark week is on! Not kidding here. They fight for position!

IF they are eating, they will get back to their normal selves. Today mine are a bit more active. Perhaps cuz their sick buddy isnt there. Yesterday, when he was having trouble swimming they flanked him and did a few laps.

NOW- my today advice!!!!!! GAWD GIRL!!!! I HAVE NO CLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just watch em. Mine stopped eating, wouldnt investigate the food, didnt shadow his lady, and then turned dull and thick looking slime. I see none of that here.

So many things can mean so DIFFERENT things. And we watch em like hawks. I think raising discus is as hard as having a teenager in the house.

New advice--- dont read too much into things if params are good and they look healthy and eat.

Call me if ya need. I am trippin too hon.

AmberC
04-14-2006, 02:20 PM
Well.. I told ya my thoughts hun. I still think the same. They are just pouting. Just pop em one and tell em to knock it off or they dont get any more bloodworms! ;)

Amber

Kindredspirit
04-14-2006, 04:48 PM
You guys are great! Really ~ Al thank you too!! I apprecitate! M ~ Did I ever tell you that my brothers and family calls me 'Sissy'....

Lil blast from the past there when you said it ~

M ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_7_28.gif

marilyn1998
04-14-2006, 04:51 PM
I told ya. ITs scary how much we are sisters. ;)