PDA

View Full Version : StingRays with Discus

crash
04-15-2006, 06:24 PM
HI all,

I am planning on upgrade buyin 120=150 gallon tank.
I have already been keeping discus for about a year now, and I am thinking about adding stingrays.
My subtrate is going to be play sand from Home Depo, It will be planted tank, with vals, various bocappa, and tiger lotus. About 20 rummy nose tetra's.
I will have about 8+ discus various sizes in there.
My major question is, Can I keep stingrays peacefully in the environment?
If so which stingrays, if anyone has any websites that I can use to learn more I would appriciate too

Like always, Thank you for all your help.
Amol

diskboy
04-15-2006, 06:36 PM
if i am correct the stingays will dig up the plants

Dissident
04-15-2006, 07:53 PM
Not in a planted tank, they are destructive. You might be able to get away with some well rooted valls in the back and a sword plant maybe crypts but you will need all the space you can for them to swim around the bottom and not knocking into plants all the time.

I would not reccomend it. A species only tank would be the best.

Ramon Anastacio
04-15-2006, 08:32 PM
A couple of websites you can visit for more stingray info:
www.flat-fish.com
www.waterwolves.com

Paul Lucas
04-16-2006, 08:57 AM
http://www.aquariumfish.net/catalog_pages/wild/sting_rays.htm

Paul:alien:

crash
04-16-2006, 10:47 AM
Are they violent towards the discus or tetra's or plecos.
I know my discus lay flat someitmes while sleeping.
Would they prey on them?
thank you
Amol

pcsb23
04-16-2006, 05:13 PM
Amol,

All stingrays are accomplished predators. A lot of the smaller Stingrays will not attack a discus, but any smaller fish is a potential meal. All of them need a lot of room. My advice either a species tank or don't do it.

crash
04-16-2006, 09:23 PM
Hi Paul and everyone
Thank you for advise,
I dont know if stingrays are going to destroy plants and are agressive, I am not going to put them in my precious discus tank then.

Amol

Riche_guy
04-16-2006, 10:12 PM
My LFS had stingrays with Discus. They didn't bother the Discus, but were really active. They need sand and not gravel. I think it is a prettt stange mix.

cobaltblue
04-17-2006, 12:52 AM
The playsand you talk about from Home depot is too coarse for stingrays. They will end up with abrasions, which may lead to infection and disease. YOu need a finer sand than playsand for best results.

billeagan
04-17-2006, 11:32 AM
Rays are fine with Discus they come from the same places. I like the motoro they tend to be the heartiest.

A ray will eat anything that will fit in its mouth. They are constant feeders so keep lots of worms, black worms, ghost shrimp on hand. If you keep them well fed your cory's and pleco's should be fine.

They will dig up your plants. Put your plants in the corner and put some drift wood around it and you will be fine.

Don't use home depot sand use the stuff from LFS.

Width of the tank is the most important thing when getting a ray. So, if you go with a 150 get the 24 inch wide one.

I started my personal motoro in a 75 two years ago and she is getting to the size now where I"ll have to move her.

Bill

crash
04-17-2006, 11:35 AM
Hi,
That is some great information
Thank you

frisco008
04-20-2006, 11:32 PM
Can't teacup rays be used...they are small enough? Not sure just a suggestion.

:D

billeagan
04-21-2006, 02:09 PM
Can't teacup rays be used...they are small enough? Not sure just a suggestion.

:D

'

Teacup rays are a generic term for baby sting rays. A motoro pup at 5 inches is considered a tea cup.

What is commonly referred to as a tea cup is just a common stingray and generally have a higher mortality rate.

I don't bring teacups anymore because they are more fragile.