PDA

View Full Version : Quarantine Tank for Discus

jcbyrne
04-16-2006, 12:56 PM
I am in the process of setting up a 60 gallon tank for plants and discus. I will probably buy all 4 or 5 discuss from the same breeder. I am assuming I should still quarantine them. I don't have a spare tank at the moment. What size would you recommend? Thanks.......Janice

greyhoundfan
04-16-2006, 01:08 PM
Good question, I wonder if you need to quarantine at all since this is a new set up and you will not be exposing any existing fish to pathogens. You got me on this one. I'll have to see what other people say.

Organic Farmer
04-16-2006, 01:24 PM
same breeder but the same tank?

AADiscus
04-16-2006, 01:56 PM
If it is a new setup with no other fish in there you can use it as your QT tank. It is when you start mixing fix you want to QT. IMO

jcbyrne
04-16-2006, 02:07 PM
Thanks for your responses. That is what I figured, new tank, no need for quarantine. But as someone at the lfs store pointed out, if I need to treat just one, or even I decide to treat them all, it is easier in a smaller tank. He also said 10 gallons, which seems small to me for 4 discus, 3"......Janice

Jarrod
04-16-2006, 02:24 PM
even given the fact they are all from same breeder you can't discount the fact that some breeders use a centralized filtering system..as for myself I would put them (the new ones) in the tank and not add anything else until you are certain thay are all ok..and for fish that are 3-4 " then I agree a 10 gal tank would be too small...just for the reason that you never really know how long exactly they are going to be in there..as with anything else bigger is a bit better even in a qt tank...easier to maintain water params and do the wc's...again all JHO is all..
Jarrod

pcsb23
04-16-2006, 04:54 PM
Being honest even attemting to keep 4 or 5 3" discus in a 10 gallon would take an awful lot of effort. My advice would be to get the 5 (personally would go for 6) discus and put them in the 60 gallon tank, keeping it bare bottom. Whn the discus are settled and grown then add the plants. It takes a lot of practice to grow 3" juvvies out in a BB tank, it takes way more to do it in a planted tank. Make no mistake I love planted tanks, I have planted tanks and I have grown juvvies out in planted tanks. It can be done, but I would not recommend it. Much easier in a BB tank.

hth,

korbi_doc
04-17-2006, 06:53 AM
Being honest even attemting to keep 4 or 5 3" discus in a 10 gallon would take an awful lot of effort. My advice would be to get the 5 (personally would go for 6) discus and put them in the 60 gallon tank, keeping it bare bottom. Whn the discus are settled and grown then add the plants. It takes a lot of practice to grow 3" juvvies out in a BB tank, it takes way more to do it in a planted tank. Make no mistake I love planted tanks, I have planted tanks and I have grown juvvies out in planted tanks. It can be done, but I would not recommend it. Much easier in a BB tank.

hth,

I agree with Jarrod & pcsb, to start with, 6 juvies are best, in a BB tank at least 30gals....you can prepare the 60g in the meantime with whatever you want in it..plants & decor to introduce the fish when they have been with you awhile & are healthy & eating well....youngsters need lotsa water changes & lotsa good food, done best in a BB tank without substrate of any kind.... the alternative is to start out with the 60g & keep it that way 'til they are grown....you may still need a smaller tank for QT in case of any problems later on.....JMO, Dottie