PDA

View Full Version : How safe is a diseased tank after cleaning?

traco
04-17-2006, 04:19 PM
I wonder how safe is the 20 gallon QT tank I used for the blue rams who got sick and I ended up euthanizing for use with other fish now? I bleached it well, rinsed with water and it has sat air drying since the 7th.

I have a fish shipment arriving in two days and was going to use this tank for the new fish. Is it safe to use?? I was going to house these fish in that same room that the rams were in. These new fish are NOT going to be put in the discus tank or the angel tank. This will be their own tank only.

Is it clean enough with doing a cleaning with bleach and it has sat unused since?

BIGFOOT
04-17-2006, 04:31 PM
You could have bleached it and used it the same day. What I would have done is bleached it and do a good rinse. Then put in freshwater and added little more than what the bottle saids on a good declor producted like prime. So if it sat dry 10 days it really is ready to go.

pcsb23
04-17-2006, 04:36 PM
Barb,

If you've bleached it, it is as safe as we can make it. I understand your concern but it should be good to go.

Keep a seperate set of equipment for use with QT.

hth,

traco
04-17-2006, 04:51 PM
I definately will have a new complete set of stuff to use on this tank.

Is it best to have it's own hose to fill the storage container? And is it best to use a hose dedicated to each tank I have for filling?

pcsb23
04-17-2006, 04:54 PM
If the fill hose never touches the tank water then one will do, I only have 1 storage tank and the hose in that is attached to an eheim pump - I'm a lazy so and so and don't like carrying buckets :D. I just make sure I keep the nozzle above the water level. We can get too paranoid - but your recent experience is a salutory lesson to us all.

Willie
04-17-2006, 06:01 PM
I've never heard of german rams transmitting disease to discus, so you're more than fine. Pathogenic bacteria are most commonly obligate -- that is, they don't survive without the host. A simple cleaning and a "no fish 3-week" quarantine is what I do with my quarantine tank. Then we're back in business...

Willie

Kindredspirit
04-17-2006, 08:59 PM
Paul ~ Willie ~

Thanks! Some good valuable info there ~ I wld never have waited for a three week period ~

Willie you wait that three weeks even if your qt'd fish passed qt and there wasnt anything ultimately wrong in the end? In Barb's case she euthanized them .....so I was wondering ~

And......you never heard of German Rams transmitting disease to discus? I just qt'd 12 babies for 6 weeks for......? lol!! It was not necessary? Or am I missing something here?

Thanks ~

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_4_10.gif