PDA

View Full Version : Baby Rams w/ formalin??

Kindredspirit
04-17-2006, 08:53 PM
Hey Guys~

I have 6 baby German Rams that have finished 6weeks qt and I am wanting to put them in my discus tank ( i think ) but here is the deal:

I am treating them ( the discus) w/ Formalin ~ wld that hurt the Rams?
And....the tank that they are going in ~ is my older discus and they are almost a year ~ there is a lot of fighting going on with way too much attitude ~ adding the rams wld be too much for them or not a problem? I did, as well ~ add sand and silk plants a week or two ago ....too! Adding these rams wld like send them all over the edge??

Thanks!!

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_4_10.gif

traco
04-17-2006, 08:56 PM
I'd just wait till the formalin treatment is finished in the discus tank before adding the rams. Rams don't like meds, people have told me (I learned alot about rams the last little bit?;) ).

And adding the rams whenever should not be a problem. You have some plants in there for hiding places, right? The discus might even stop their bickering with the new additions (well, we can dream, can't we?).

Good luck and make sure you take pics of the whole gang together once you get the rams in there.

Kindredspirit
04-17-2006, 09:06 PM
Hey woman!

You were here and I was at YOUR thread!! lol! So you wld wait, Barb? Dayumit! But I don't wanna wait! But I waited 6 weeks... Did I read somewhere that you were waiting for new fish? What are they? Come on....give it up Barb!

M ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_4_10.gif

AmberC
04-17-2006, 10:35 PM
Well.. rams are no different than other fish as far as meds go and I dont think any fish like meds lol. As for aggression. Marie.. you may not believe it, but those cute wittle babies... CAN HOLD THEIR OWN! They are like small dogs Marie. They dont know how small they are. I had a pair that, when they spawned.. would keep 6 discus holed up in a corner lol. I agree waiting until the formalin is done.

Amber:)

traco
04-17-2006, 11:40 PM
Hey that would make a good commercial Amber, for Dodge (as in Ram Tough).

Marie, how many more days of Formalin are you doing? What's a couple of more days of doing water changes on that little tank?:)

I have 2 male and 2 female apisto cacatuoides from a home breeder coming on Wednesday. Here is a pic of a male.
http://www.thekrib.com/Apisto/A-cac2-bork.jpg

Let's hope I have more luck with them than I did with rams!:p

Kindredspirit
04-18-2006, 12:05 AM
Wow Barb! Frank wants one of those too but it didnt look like that I dont think! Can they go with discus?? His were yellow and blue and smaller too~

I have two more doses of formalin than a week of salt ~ so tell me what if people have to treat with formalin with rams in the tank? They take them all out? Thatz a PIA! lol!

Thanks Ladies ~

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_4_61.gif

hexed
04-18-2006, 12:12 AM
Barb,
I have 7 of those except mine are triple reds :D
I want to get some wilds now :)

Yes they can go with discus but because of the heat if they breed most babies will be males. I gotr that bit of info from SimplyCichlids.com ;)

traco
04-18-2006, 12:22 AM
Frank, you lucky guy. I love the triple reds!! Mine, I think, have more of the yellow/orange to them. I can't wait. I'll post some pics after they settle in. I was hoping for a couple more females but that is all they had so I'll see how things go. It would be neat if they spawned, etc...:D

hexed
04-18-2006, 12:53 AM
Barb,
How big are they going to be? Mine are just over an inch :)

AmberC
04-18-2006, 09:05 AM
Marie.. to answer your last question there.. you can treat rams with formalin, it wont hurt them.. but right now your treating something the discus have and the rams are not sick correct. Why treat a fish that is not sick? They've been thru their QT, just wait till the discus are good to go and then add them. After they are in the tank... if something happens that you need to treat them with formalin.. it wont be a problem. :)

Barb.. those are beautiful! I remember when I first saw those! I was like wow! Then I forgot about them until now lol. I hope everything works out with them! Coming from a home breeder they should be in good shape! Is the breeder local for you?

Amber

AmberC
04-18-2006, 09:07 AM
Barb,
I have 7 of those except mine are triple reds :D
I want to get some wilds now :)

Yes they can go with discus but because of the heat if they breed most babies will be males. I gotr that bit of info from SimplyCichlids.com ;)

Frank.. do you have pictures of them up somewhere? I'd love to see!

Marie.. was your thread just stolen? ;)

Amber

diskboy
04-18-2006, 09:08 AM
i like that make that a dodge comercial lol ;)

pcsb23
04-18-2006, 09:18 AM
Marie,

Amber has given sound advice here. I would do as she suggests on this one.

Take care,

Kindredspirit
04-18-2006, 10:20 AM
Marie.. was your thread just stolen? ;)

Amber

Ya think? lol! Thanks Paul and everyone!

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_2_15.gif