PDA

View Full Version : Adult with young's

AmazonRainbows
04-18-2006, 12:54 AM
I just read a thread who some one was talking about having 18-22 Discus in a 180 Gal tnak. In the talk he said that he would put the couple out of the tank as they are forming. IS this because you can not keep Adulte discus with young in a community tank?

Need more info i'm newbie in this area.

bennyblanco
04-18-2006, 01:15 AM
I HAVE 2 DISCUS THAT JUST PAIR UP AND THE MALE IS VERY AGGRESSIVE WITH THE OTHER DISCUS,I HAVE 6 DISCUS WITH THAT PAIR IN A 55 GALLON TANK SO I DONT HAVE MORE TANKS SO I PUT A DIVIDER IN THE TANK TO SEE WAS UP,HOPE THEY START SPAWNING SOON:D :D

hexed
04-18-2006, 03:48 AM
Amazon,
If you keep a pair in a community tank, the eggs will get eaten. If the pair do get to free swimmer stage then they will deffinately get eaten. The pair will not be able to keep that many discus away from the young or eggs. It is best to move them to thier own 29 gallon tank.

Benny,
Even a divider is not sure proof :( If the young to not attach you will not be able to lower the water level without the other discus suffering from it. Sometimes it is best to slurge and get a 29 gallon for the pair.

AmazonRainbows
04-18-2006, 09:47 AM
Amazon,
If you keep a pair in a community tank, the eggs will get eaten. If the pair do get to free swimmer stage then they will deffinately get eaten. The pair will not be able to keep that many discus away from the young or eggs. It is best to move them to thier own 29 gallon tank.

Ok. Hexed has I understand this his a lot more because if you want to help the couple raise fry's and about agressivity of the fish. But i I don't want the fish to raise fry and I remove the egg's then this sould be no problem?

White Worm
04-18-2006, 12:54 PM
If you are not worried about breeding, then they can stay in the community tank.

Alight
04-18-2006, 01:29 PM
It will depend on the personality of your fish. Most of the time, pairs that are spawning can be kept in the community tank. Sometimes, the pairs are so agressive, however, that they must be removed for the health of the other fish.

White Worm
04-18-2006, 05:30 PM
They become aggressive mostly when they are protecting area or especially actual eggs. So, if you remove eggs, they will have little reason to be aggressive. Mine are very aggressive when eggs are present but then go back to normal after eggs are eaten or removed. As far as the original question, you can have young with adults with no problems. I have 1 year olds in with some 2 month olds and they just ignore each other. The adults will pay more attention to subs and other adults that they may find as a threat.