PDA

View Full Version : Treatment Advice for Very Young

Robo
04-18-2006, 09:55 PM
Hi,
I've a couple of very young discus (5-week old) hanging on surface, at a corner usually, and with clamped fins. They are not active and not feeding. I suspect it's some kind of bacterial infections on them. Previously, I've given long bath of formalin and med (Interpet 7) for treating flucks and protozoan parasites cos there were flickings and rubbings and rapid gill movements etc. Now they are alright, except these two.

What would be the correct treatment/medication in this instance? Would it be alright for me to add salt at this stage? There are ten young ones in my 55g (They came from a brood of 20, PB strain. After removing mom last week, death rate started @ 1 per day!:(). I do WC 3-times @50% each, wipe down all walls and floor once daily, Temp @88F with a sponge filter (also cleaning daily). Water parameters: Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate all zero, PH: 7. I would also like to know if I could make the water a little acidic (say ph 6 or 5.5?) to kill off any parasites n protozoan present in tank water? I've read that very yound juvs need hard water to absorb minerals for their healthy growth. In my WC regime, I've 80% tap water (ph7) mix with 20% boiled warm water (to obtain same temp with tank).

Your advice is appreciated.

Rob

ShinShin
04-19-2006, 07:58 PM
If it is a bacterial gill infection, try neomyacin and a sulfa compound.

Mat

Robo
04-19-2006, 08:39 PM
Hi Mat,
Thanks for the advice. Well...Before i could do anything, i've lost them (the couple hanging on surface).:(