PDA

View Full Version : Too much beefheart?

kakes11
04-20-2006, 04:03 PM
My discus love the beefheart I give them. It is just beefheart that i blended up into small pieces and threw in a little galic. I am also feeding them bloodworms and colorbites. Only a couple of them will eat the colorbites so their main diet is beefheart and bloodworms. Is this a bad diet? Is it a bad thing that they eat a lot of beefheart? What else should I do to get a more balanced diet for these guys? Thanks :)

-gb-
04-20-2006, 04:29 PM
you could throw in some brine shrimp into the mix to help balance things out.

wolfbane
04-20-2006, 09:33 PM
You coulkd mix the color bits into the ground beefheart if you like, or any high quality flake too. Maybe they would get used to the texture then.

kakes11
04-21-2006, 01:25 PM
K thanks, ill try that today and see if the stubborn brats like it :p

Greg Richardson
04-21-2006, 03:45 PM
Kakes. The beauty of BH is u can add different ingredients each time and observe if u see a difference. BH allows u to ensure your fish are obtaining many different nutrients as well as color enhancers without doing as many feedings as one would need to do in a day for your fish to absorb all the different products.

The below info is in no particular order or desire. I have used 90% of it and notice big difference.

Spirulina, earthworm, all kinds of flakes ground up with tetra bits.

Carrot
Carrots contain beta carotene, one of 600 carotenoids that are pigments that give yellow and orange fruits, vegetables, flowers, and autumn leaves their color. The beta carotene in carrots assists the vegetable in converting to vitamin A. While animal foods contain vitamin A, fruits and vegetables contain only the vitamin's precursors--the carotenoids.

Garlic, green pea's, bananas.

Krill
An excellent ingredient and feed additive, krill meal is composed of 100 percent Euphausia superba that has been freeze dried and ground into a powder. It is highly nutritious, protein rich and very high in the pigment carotenoid astaxanthin. Krill meal is widely used for feeding larval catfish and increases survival rates and health in trout, salmon, and other finfish. Contains 60 percent protein and is high in omega-3 fatty acids. It is in a powdered form with 80 percent of the particle size smaller than 500 microns.

Rolled oats ground up.
They are rich in amino acids tha will enhance blue tones.

Nutrurose, Beta carotene, Paprika, promotes red color.

Turmeric, promotes yellow color.

Shrimp, prawns, cod, salmon.

Omega3 fish oil.

Chrysanthemum petals - Haven't researched these yet.

Max Amino Vitamins

Calcium

Creatine.
To counter any possible side effects of liver use lecithin.