PDA

View Full Version : Adding new discus to a tank

ditka311
04-20-2006, 10:04 PM
Hi,

I currently have one approx. 4.5 inch discuswith a slightly smaller angel in a 55 gal tank. I want to add more but when I bought the discus I have now I bought it with another discus, to whom it was very aggressive. That fish eventually died since it was runt.

My question is, is it okay to add a few more similarly sized discus to the tank? I would imagine the discus I currently have will be aggressive towards them as well but I am not sure.

It was aggressive towards the angel at first but the angel kind of acted like "yeah, whatever" so now they get along fine.

Thanks

cobaltblue
04-20-2006, 10:33 PM
It would be best if you do add more discus, as they are a schooling fish and feel more comfortable in numbers. I would add 4 to 5 more in your 55g. Keeping close in size would be good, but slight differences should be ok. When i bought my last group, it wasnt the smallest one that got picked on, but a average sized one.

ditka311
04-20-2006, 10:46 PM
Thanks.

AADiscus
04-21-2006, 10:05 AM
I would defiantly add some more. Discus do better with a school of them. You will normally always have one that will a little picked on. When you do add more fish make sure you QT them before adding them to your current tank.