PDA

View Full Version : Shape

MayorNewton
04-23-2006, 06:56 PM
I note that when discus are very small they 'all' look 'football' shaped, right? This apparently starts to round out in most fish as they get older. How old or big will a koi be when you know 'for sure' what kind of shape they'll have...in other words, when are they as round as they're going to be by?

Just thinking out loud here.

Newt

Alight
04-24-2006, 01:14 PM
I suspect you meant Discus, not Koi. I can just imagine a round Koi (LOL).

When will they be as round as they can get? Well, for the body + fins, at about 1.5 - 2 months. The mouth may still be pointed at that time, and that rounds out until the fish are adults, so you will not really know for 6 months or so.

candyl70
04-24-2006, 02:34 PM
Al,

About how many inches? 2" ? I have some pbx that when they were about 1.5" they were really football shaped. And now at 4" They are really beautiful and round... I just don't remember when that happened... seemed like it was over night ;)

Candy

Alight
04-24-2006, 04:03 PM
Candy, yes, between 1.5 and 2.5 inches, most of it seems to happen. But, as I said, there is some more gradual "rounding" of more subtle features that goes on until they are adults.

Of course, all of this assumes maximal growth rates, no stunting, no genetic problems, etc., or the fish may be forever football shaped. There are no guarantees that a 1 inch, footballer will grow into a nice round Discus.

MayorNewton
04-24-2006, 04:48 PM
D'OH! Yep, discus, not koi. I said discus in the first sentence, then reverted to my old hobby of koi (I own a couple koi and ponding message boards so still 'think' them).

Thanks for the replies.

Newt