PDA

View Full Version : under gravel filter

warr401
04-25-2006, 10:40 PM
hey i just set up my discus tank about 3 weeks ago and i dont really want to do a bare bottom tank but i still want the tank to be clean what if i hook a UGF up to a cannister filter and add a thin layer of grave will this keep the gravel clean?

chotie
04-25-2006, 11:06 PM
how large is your tank? what kind of cannister do you have? UGF's are considered only a step above not cleaning at all. many problems can happen with a UGF (google if curious). if you are careful on feeding, your cannister should be sufficient.

besides, you can always use your net to scoop any excess food that is left on the gravel.

warr401
04-25-2006, 11:14 PM
its a 30g with a H.O.T magnum

-gb-
04-25-2006, 11:18 PM
If you want close to the benefits of having a BBT I would suggest going with sand and no UGF. As Chotie said that is a small step above not cleaning at all.

I recently wet from gravel to sand and almost overnight noticed a change in the overall health & cleanliness of my tank.

chotie
04-25-2006, 11:21 PM
its a 30g with a H.O.T magnum

as i said before, your cannister is sufficient. just be careful not to overfeed. take away excess food after feedings and be sure to "vacuum" your gravel during water changes. if you w/c often enough, then you will have no problems with a dirty tank.

Carol_Roberts
04-26-2006, 03:48 PM
Juveniles stay healthiest and grow best in bare bottom tanks. If you are new to discus it truly is best to start bare bottom.

warr401
04-26-2006, 08:29 PM
if i go sand how would i vacume

wolfbane
04-26-2006, 08:34 PM
I second Carol's comments. I am raising my second group of juvies, and my first group is 18 months old now. This new group is growing faster and is healthier, made my share of mistakes with the first ones.

Alight
04-27-2006, 12:25 AM
Whatever you do, forget the undergravel filter. It's a sure way to kill Discus as I found out 30 years ago. "Maybe not today, or tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of their lives" (LOL)

Seriouslyk UGF's are a really bad idea. Discus love to graze on food that falls to the bottom, and at the same time, are really intolerant of a high bacteria load. Guess where the bacteria is concentrated with an undergravel filter? And guess where that bacteria goes when the discus graze on food on the bottom of the tank?

Not good.

Bainbridge Mike
04-27-2006, 09:21 AM
I agree with the folks who are saying don't do it for Discus. For other species that are more tolerant, I have used a UGF connected to the output of a canister filter. Reverse flow is much safer. You have to make sure the canister has a strong enough pump for this, however.

MW

-gb-
04-27-2006, 06:44 PM
You can vacuum the sand by holding the nozzle just above the sand or at a 45 degree angle.

For the record I would recommend a BB tank to start with but barring that sand is the way to go.

warr401
04-27-2006, 08:04 PM
ok i think i'm goin with the sand

anyone have pics of their sand discus tanks

-gb-
04-27-2006, 08:39 PM
IMO if you are going to go with sand…. "silica sand" is the way to go. You can get it at you local Home Depot for $5-$7 for a large bag. Don’t worry about vacuuming a bit of the sand up when you clean your tank as it’s so cheep to replace.

Do a search on “sand” using the Simply search feature may also help.

-gb-

warr401
04-27-2006, 08:40 PM
well i didnt really want white sand b/c i have a white background so it mite be too white

star rider
04-28-2006, 01:59 PM
UGF's get a bad rap if you ask me(IMHO)

if you use gravel in a tank and vac you should be using a vac in a UFG too.

if you vac regularly you are vac'ing th mulm out of the UFG.

I have several tanks some with UFG's I don't get any more bacterial build up in the UFG than I do with a gravel bottom.

RFUG is a step up and prob easier to maintain than a reg ufg. as long as it is set up properly and maintained properly you should have no big problems.

also consider that the ufg is a beneficial bacteria colony so you have the one in the filter and basically the whole bottom of your tank.

I do agree tho that it is easier to maintain discus in a BB tank.

White Worm
04-28-2006, 02:33 PM
The only problem is you can never do enough vacuuming to get it clean. When you think you did, you didnt! You then take a chance of spikes from pockets of rotten food that was missed. Not only good things hide in those ugf's and gravel. Bad things lurk also. When I started I used large diameter pebbles instead of the small gravel and I considered myself to be doing a good job during cleaning and vacuuming but I decided to go bare bottom (tank, not me). When I did, I was surprised how much crap I didnt get. Then I still could not let go completely so I only had a thin layer just enough to cover the glass bottom and add a lived in look. That layer still collected too much crap. Completely bare bottom now and I am surprised at how dirty a BB tank could get in a few days. Do sand or BB.

warr401
04-28-2006, 07:18 PM
i'm definalty not doin a ugf now now i'm inbtween a BB and sand....i want it to look good too

BIGFOOT
04-28-2006, 07:44 PM
Ill keep this simple, I vote for bb.

warr401
04-28-2006, 10:15 PM
heres some specs

30g tank
HOT magnum canister filter
3 BD one blue turquise and 2 angels and 1 loach planning on 1 or 2 more discus(pigeon bloods)
150w heater
2x week w/c
feeding 1/2 cube frozen bloodworms twice a day

pcsb23
04-29-2006, 01:12 PM
The above specs will lead to problems. The tank will be overpopulated for the water change regime. Either get a much bigger tank or change 50% and more each day. 3 Discus is generally a bad number, often leading to the death of one of them, 5 is much better minimum size I would recommend is 55gals and that would be with 3x 50% w/c per week (minimum).

warr401
04-29-2006, 05:30 PM
how much sand would i need to have a 1.5 inch layer in a 30g

marilyn1998
04-29-2006, 05:46 PM
http://www.plantedtank.net/substratecalculator.html

sledwood
04-29-2006, 10:09 PM
I've use an under gravel filter in my 90 gal for years without any problems. I've had my fish for upwards to eight or nine years in that tank. I used it as a supplement though. I also had two Eheim 2128 canister filters operating at full song at the same time. I always set the UGF up with the largest power head I could buy, set at full reverse.That way the bacteria colony beneath the gravel had first shot at the waste and my vacuum got what little was left during water changes. Recently though, I removed it. No small task while the aquarium was occupied, and went with two Aquaclear 110s, along with the Eheims. Thing is, I've noticed a huge difference in water quality and ease of cleaning. I still have a gravel bottom but the maintenance chores seem a lot easier. My fish seem to enjoy it a lot more. It seems like the move has recharged their batteries. Wish I had done it a long time ago but old habits are sometimes hard to break................Ed

Timbo
04-30-2006, 07:36 AM
I've use an under gravel filter in my 90 gal for years without any problems. with discus in the tank?

Recently though, I removed it. Thing is, I've noticed a huge difference in water quality and ease of cleaning. I still have a gravel bottom but the maintenance chores seem a lot easier. My fish seem to enjoy it a lot more.
Wish I had done it a long time ago but old habits are sometimes hard to break................Ed

you will probably experience an additional, and similar, positive reaction when you pull the gravel out entirely. :)