PDA

View Full Version : furan 2 vrs furanace

aznboystyl3
04-26-2006, 02:03 PM
hi i was wondering has anyone ever tried furanace. Ive researched some websites and some say tell me that their purpose is the same for example furanace affects gram +/- and fungus etc. ive been using furan 2 for every quarantine and just wondering if anyone else uses furanace instead of furan 2
*curious bout it because furanace is cheaper then furan 2
thanks

Cosmo
04-26-2006, 02:39 PM
never used furanace, so don't know.. but,

You can buy a product that is very similar to Furan 2 (same except it includes salt) in bulk powder from either nationalfishpharm.com or 4fishstuff.com which is much cheaper than buying the capsules.

Jim

aznboystyl3
04-26-2006, 02:43 PM
i think ive seen a powder form of furan 2 but not sure if we talking bout the same thing. does it also turn the water green. like it looks exactly like the powder in the furan 2 capsule?

aznboystyl3
04-26-2006, 02:45 PM
also can you tell me the name of the powder? and do you use it for you discus?
does it work well?

brewmaster15
04-26-2006, 03:31 PM
Hi, they are not the same meds...The furanace works well on some strains of columnaris and vibrio fin rots... but its messy it turns the water a rusty brown and clogs filters.

The furan 2 , you can make your own ....

Nitrofurazone
furazlidone
methylene blue.

Theres a product called bifuran that is basically the first two ingredients sold by Jehmco.com
They also sell the individual components of furan-2

One note here..I strongly advise you to not use any antibiotic as a preventative in QT...Its a waste of money, serves little good and can create super resistent bacterias. If you feel the need to treat externally , use dyes like acriflavin and formalin... Not trying to lecture, but its just not a good thing to do and in most cases is un-necessary.

hth,
al

aznboystyl3
04-26-2006, 08:25 PM
thanks for the tip. so far i have always used furan 2 and metro when i quarantined. i use to do it for like 5-7 days but now i stop at 4 days because its expensive. im bout to buy 4 more discus this friday (roughly 150 bucks total hopefully less) but i think ima do it only for 2-3 days.

o by the way i read that metro creates unfertile males? is that true. i am getting ready with new heaters, tanks, filters (anyone know any cheap websites) for breeding. if the whole metro thing is true ima stop using it.
ANYONE USE METRO AND STILL HAVE FERTILE MALES?

brewmaster15
04-27-2006, 03:42 AM
Metros short term use at reasonable doses should not affect fertility...but it is a carcinogen and a mutagen...so anything is possible...

incidentally, nitrofurazone is also a carcinogen.

i use to do it for like 5-7 days but now i stop at 4 days because its expensive. im bout to buy 4 more discus this friday (roughly 150 bucks total hopefully less) but i think ima do it only for 2-3 days.
Thats even a worse idea as it creates bacteria that can become resistent to the meds... I would not use it all unless you have a specific problem....If you need to treat the discus you are getting with antiobiotics routinely when you receive them I think its time to find some new suppliers...not medications!:) :)

-al