PDA

View Full Version : water changes V Conductivity

orfan
04-27-2006, 03:27 PM
Hi:
My discus pair water tank parameters as follows:
Tank Water Volum : 25 gallon, Conductivity: 50 Ms , Ph: 6.7 ,Ammonia:0 , Nitrite : 0 , Nitrate: 40 .
My Question:
Do water changes are nessecery to recover the minerals which are obsorbed by fish in low minerals water(50 Ms - my case- ) If So, How often W/C are needed / week for the above mentioned tank size with one pair ?
Regards.
Orfan

Carol_Roberts
04-27-2006, 03:55 PM
Why are your nitrAtes 40? Does it come out of the tap that way? If no, then you need to do enough water changes to keep nitrates at 5.

Yes, water changes replenish minerals used up in the nitrification process.

orfan
04-27-2006, 11:15 PM
Dear Carol:
Do you mean that minerals are used only in the nitrification process and not be obsorbed by fish ? if so , Can you reffer me to more detailed article to study this point in depth?.
Regards.
Orfan

Carol_Roberts
04-28-2006, 02:06 PM
Minerals are also taken in and used by the fish. I don't have articles to point you to. In soft water the pH will drop more from the nitrification process (turning waste and leftover food into ammonia/nitrIte/nitrAte) than what would be utilized by a single pair of adults. Water chagnes will help to keep pH stable and remove nitrates

ShinShin
04-29-2006, 10:59 AM
Nitrares are too high. Water changes are done more to take out than to replace. Organic waste needs to be removed ASAP. I recommend 40% daily water changes, especially in a breeding tank.

Mat