PDA

View Full Version : To cycle or not to cycle? RESET

azzndude2005
04-29-2006, 01:51 AM
I haven't cycle my tank yet and I was wondering how many people out there think it's better to cycle an empty tank before adding discus or cycle the tank with the discus.

Ryan
04-29-2006, 02:31 AM
Well, while I feel the first poll option is unnecessary... I think it's very important to cycle a tank first. It cuts down on a lot of the problems that people run into when first starting with discus. However, it's not just discus... it's most fish, especially cichlids.

A cycle isn't that difficult and it goes a long way in helping you get a good head start into discus keeping by eliminating common problems associated with ammonia and nitrite poisoning.

Ryan

White Worm
04-29-2006, 03:29 AM
Worthless poll, lets get real....

Timbo
04-29-2006, 05:20 AM
so far the poll is running 100% that you piss in the tank...lol

Tony_S
04-29-2006, 05:40 AM
how many people out there think it's better to cycle an empty tank before adding discus or cycle the tank with the discus.

Common sense should tell you it's 'better' to cycle an empty tank first.

Why not just ask....

1. Is it better to add discus to a clean, healthy, stable environment.....or

2. Is it better to add them to an unhealthy, chemically unstable, caustic environment?

OH!! wait!!! you already did.....:undecided:

Taking shortcuts is an extremely poor way to start out with Discus...people who insist on taking them typically have a very 'short' stay in this hobby.
Judging from this, and previous posts youve made....your stay will be short.

Tony

azzndude2005
04-29-2006, 08:36 AM
I'm not trying to offend anyone with the first poll option. Just pointing out to people that they don't need to waste money buying NH4/NH3 to put into their tank. If I did, I appoligze.

Tony_S
04-29-2006, 09:04 AM
I'm not trying to offend anyone with the first poll option. Just pointing out to people that they don't need to waste money buying NH4/NH3 to put into their tank. If I did, I appoligze.

Sorry....I didnt realize you were serious about pissing in the tank....carry on.

On second thought...maybe this thread should be locked asap in order to avoid anymore blatant stupidity.

Cosmo
04-29-2006, 10:57 AM
I tended to agree with Tony S, but didn't lock the thread only because so far it had been mostly inane and no one had gotten out of line. Instead, I edited the poll and reset all the responses to zero.

Sorry for hijacking your poll azzndude, but this way it at least offers some real alternatives. Apologizies to all those that already voted too .. yeah

To add my 2 cents... I'm in full agreement with Tony S and Ryan Smith on the importance of fully cycling a tank before adding fish and voted for the new first option.

Jim

alpine
04-29-2006, 06:14 PM
I wonder what was the Last First option ?? I guess I am always late ..

roberto.

Cosmo
04-30-2006, 08:49 AM
Roberto,

See Tony S's response above mine for the original option one. ;)

Jim

AmazonRainbows
04-30-2006, 11:42 AM
I start the tank with cycling product. Because Bio-spira is not available in Quebec I use Seachem stability. Also carry sponges and filters form a cycled tank. And if I can I let the new tank run as long as I can before adding fish.

Any choice I can select to reflect my procedure? :p

azzndude2005
04-30-2006, 09:04 PM
Cycling with starter fish is bad, they might have diease.

jgonzalez
05-02-2006, 03:39 PM
I use bio media from any of my other well established filters. Then I Throw a shrimp and let it rot until it desapears. Then for about 60 days I just let it be, changing 20% once a week. No fishies until then.

yeomans
05-02-2006, 05:47 PM
It wouldn't be a good idea to not cycle the tank, if hardier fish die when a tank isn't cylced, imagine what that would do to your discus. Bad idea. I usually start by adding a sponge filter that has been established in another disease free tank. I usually add water from the same tank the sponge came from when doing a water change, this speeds the process up a little. But needless to say you shouldn't cut any corners in this aspect of the hobby, keep your discus best intrest in mind at all times.

Timbo
05-05-2006, 07:05 AM
Cycling with starter fish is bad, they might have diease.

Just pointing out to people that they don't need to waste money buying NH4/NH3 to put into their tank.

so how did you cycle your tank?

anne
05-05-2006, 08:22 AM
So instead of adding ammonia you'd add something which has loads of urea and relatively little ammonia... in order to save, what $2?

RichieE
05-05-2006, 03:13 PM
I would ask the breeder your getting your first fish from for a seasoned sponge filter. If you trust the breeder enough to buy fish from him buying a sponge is not a huge gamble. In essence you will have a small slice of his system. Squeeze a little gunk into the filter you plan to use and put the sponge in the tank for 30 days or so.
I have also used Bio-Spira sucessfully. I have tryed the ammonia thing thinking my system might cycle quicker. It didn't so I dont think I'll do it again although its an option. Rich

Planted
05-06-2006, 10:02 PM
Well I voted cycle with fish but ive been doing the musical filter thing to start new tanks ever since my first solid tank.

azzndude2005
05-10-2006, 12:46 AM
I took the sponge filter from the store tank and thought my tank would be cycle. Althought this didn't work out as plan. It did speed up the cycling process.

Jeff B
05-12-2006, 11:04 AM
I am using a 4' tank as a sump filter. I used all brand new filter material and the "fishless cycle" method. It took just under 3 weeks for the filter to fully mature ..... I put in 6 new fish into one of the filtered tanks nearly 3 weeks ago .... one pair immediately formed, another pair a week later and about 4 days ago both pairs spawned within hours of each other. I've checked the water every day since and not found there to be any ammonia or nitrite, plus nitrates are fairly low too .... so I reckon it's not a bad way to go. :)