PDA

View Full Version : Stunted? Can I make them grow?!?

tiara1018
04-29-2006, 02:14 PM
Hi There!!
I am new to this forum and absolutely love it!!!! Anyways, I just bought some discus that are about 2.25 inches in size and 4 months old. I know this is small......But What i'm wondering is if they are severely stunted from previous care and if I will be able to "nurse" them back to grow to regular size? Thanks so so so much!!! By the way, they were only $12.00 each:D

Tiara

p.s. I will try to get my camera battery charged so I can post a few pics

bennyblanco
04-29-2006, 02:19 PM
hard to tell without a pic,so whenever you have time post some pics.:D :D :D

tiara1018
04-29-2006, 02:25 PM
Hi
Benny Thanks for the reply! I will do that in a few hours when my battery is charged :) In the meantime,.....its 2.25 inches really small the 4 months?

Thanks!

Tiara

wolfbane
04-29-2006, 04:17 PM
Welcome to Simply Tiara!
I think that regardless of their size, your first discus are special. Pictures will help the pros here help you with your fish. Be sure to do lots of water changes, and feed often for best growth. Bare bottom tank works best for little guys to grow in. Maybe you can share some details about your set-up?

tiara1018
04-29-2006, 09:57 PM
Hi Thanks you guys!
Here is a picture I took before they got to mad at me (now they are just kind of hiding in the bad...and whenever I come near they turn dark...normal?) Anyways, Here is one, they all look pretty much like this. By the way, The mom is a Candy Apple Red, Dad is a Cobalt Blue....Are they going to get any more color? Right now they just look tan mainly. If so what will they look like? Thank you guys so much, you are so informative!!

Tiara

tiara1018
04-29-2006, 10:00 PM
Oh and I forgot to mention......They are going to be in a 55 gallon tank, right now they are in a 10 gallon quarentine tank.....but they are so small they seem to have plenty of room;)

Water parameters:

PH 70-74
Temp: 84
GH: moderately soft

Tiara

discus2010
04-29-2006, 10:58 PM
i'm no expert but they dont seem stunted

second question will they gain more color YES
they will soon start getting color aroun 6 months- 8 months im not exactly sure (dont no my discus's age i forgot tehe) and they will lose those colors and then later have their real color i think thats their correct process

ps: question
is being stunted a gene? or can u breed stunted discus to have regula fish?

tiara1018
04-30-2006, 12:44 AM
Ok I just got another pic.....Here is one next to the temperature....(which is apparently 80....even though the heater is on 84 grrrr) The temp gauge is 2 inches tall. Any responses greatly appreciated!!

Tiara

Giniel
04-30-2006, 01:45 AM
Hi and welcome to Simply! They don't look stunted to me. They are young and with a lot of water changes and feed at least 4 times a day they should grow out fine. I am not sure of the color they will be ,but should be pretty either way they go. They look healthy and round so I wouldn't worry too much. Just enjoy them and take good care of them and they will stay healthy.
Debbie

Timbo
04-30-2006, 06:59 AM
they arent stunted, nice shape actually. get that temp up to 84-86, feed 5-6 times/day, change lotsa water...you'll be a proud discus keeper. color emergence time can be highly variable, usually some color starts showing around 2-3 months in most juvies

JMArtist
04-30-2006, 07:48 AM
They look fine to me.
If your 55 gallon tank is up and running yet, and these guys are to be the only fish in there, I would transfer them into the larger tank as soon as possible.
The quarantine period would be unnecessary, since they would be the only occupants of the tank any way.
After they are fully or nearly grown, if you choose to place other fish in there with them, those should be quarantined in the 10 gallon tank for 6 to 8 weeks.

But other then that, feed the little buggers lots and lots of food.
They are excellent eaters and celebrated poopers, so make sure you keep the tank nice and clean.
Mine seem to poop in mass right after I clean the tank...I thinks it's a conspiracy on their part....

tiara1018
04-30-2006, 12:33 PM
Lol, the pooping plot against you! Anyways, I have them in the quarentine tank right now because I actually have other fish in the 55 g that I am moving to another tank and remodeling the 55 for the discus....So it will probably be about a week:( .....but then they will have a great home!!!

Tiara

Willie
04-30-2006, 12:42 PM
Actually, these look to be high quality discus. You did good on the purchase.

I would keep them in a smaller tank, but do big water changes daily. Smaller discus do less well in a huge tank. If you're going to move them to a 55, try putting a divider in the tank. Small discus are more comfortable with others around. It'll be easier for them to find the food as well.

Willie

tiara1018
04-30-2006, 12:55 PM
Oh and I am returning the heater I just bought for that tank.....I even set it to 87 last night, and this morning its still at 80!! I put a different heater in there in the meantime....Its 150watt, it will definetly get the job done!

Tiara

greyhoundfan
04-30-2006, 05:53 PM
I don't like the stick on temp gauges. I had one and it was at 85 for ever.. thought I was doing a good job.

Until I bought the mercury thermometer that I put in the tank. The stick on reader was 8 degrees off.