PDA

View Full Version : New discus, When to feed?

tiara1018
04-29-2006, 07:59 PM
Hi, I just got a few discus and I am wondering when I should feed them for the first time? I have heard anything from immediately to wait a day.....What do you think? Thanks!!!:fish:

Tiara

greyhoundfan
04-29-2006, 08:59 PM
I guess the discus will tell you.:)

Generally speaking it'll take a day or two. just give them a little pinch to see if it'll peek their interest.

tiara1018
04-29-2006, 10:39 PM
Thanks Greyhoundfan!
I tried feeding them a little bit ago, but they are still alittle to nervous to be concerned with eating I guess. I think I will try again tomorrow morning....wish me luck!!:thumbsup:

Tiara

greyhoundfan
04-29-2006, 11:48 PM
Thanks Greyhoundfan!
I tried feeding them a little bit ago, but they are still alittle to nervous to be concerned with eating I guess. I think I will try again tomorrow morning....wish me luck!!:thumbsup:

Tiara

Goodluck:D Be sure to syphon out any uneaten food. Be patient in may take a few days. Might also be a good idea to post up your water conditions.. temp, ph, nitrates/nitrites, ammonia.. that'll give you an idea on your water quality.. at least you can rule that out if your parameters are good.

tiara1018
04-30-2006, 12:29 AM
Hi Again!
Here are my tank stats:

right now they are in a 10g quarentine tank....soon to be moved to 55g

Temp 84
ph 7.0-7.4
nitrates:0
amonia:0
nitrates: under 10
gh: moderately soft

Also, I just put 2 teaspoons of aquarium salt in the tank to help with stress (as per a members advise, I also added one little ornament in the tank for them to hide behind to make them feel alittle more secure......I think it seems to be working:D

Also I have a post on if my fish are stunted and about their coloring....Would you please check it out also :)

http://simplydiscus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50126

Thank you again!!!

Tiara

White Worm
04-30-2006, 03:43 AM
I Dont think you should let them hide. You need them to get used to your normal lifestyle. If you let them hide, they will and most times become timid. leave them out in the open and they will see that there is nothing to worry about. Give them great food and sit with them and they will see you and think FOOD!

ShinShin
04-30-2006, 11:55 AM
Actually, a place to retreat adds to the security a discus feels. Knowing they have a place to hide, often makes them come to the front of the tank searching for food.

When to feed? I have had young discus eat 10 minutes out of the bag. Others hours. I also have had adults go 3 weeks before eating.

Mat

tiara1018
04-30-2006, 12:30 PM
Wow three weeks!! You must have been worried! I tried feeding these little guys this morning but they didn't go for it, I even dropped the food directly over their heads and it floated down to the bottom.....They just ignored it. Any ideas to get them started? Also, do discus eat off of the top? (like floating flakes? Or do i need to submerge the food so it sinks? Thanks again!!

Tiara

Willie
04-30-2006, 12:44 PM
Discus almost always will not eating floating food. I only have a couple of adults do that. Most will wait until the food sinks. I would start with some frozen worms to entice them to eat. Once they start eating, then you can switch over to some less expensive, but still high quality, food. Beefheart is the best food for young, growing discus.

Willie

tiara1018
04-30-2006, 12:59 PM
Thanks Willie!
I tried alittle beefheart yesterday, after about 4 hours of them being home,....they didn't go for it. This morning I tried bloodworms and flakes. I cant wait till they start eating! I know its only been a day....but I get worried:o

Tiara

bennyblanco
04-30-2006, 01:16 PM
dont worry they will soon start eating,some eat the first day some will take a little longer,just dont overfeed!!!:D

tiara1018
04-30-2006, 07:43 PM
Yay!!! They ate!! They only took a little bit (emphasis on little) but hey atleast its a start!:D Their are a couple that are getting pecked at pretty bad though....One is the second biggest, the other is the smallest. They have little peck marks on the sides of their bodies....I feel bad for them. But I've read here that I should just leave them alone to work out the pecking order? Also, I have feed them a couple time, and about 20 min. after the feeding I scoop the excess food out of the tank with a net....it this a good idea? Thanks!!

Tiara

tiara1018
05-01-2006, 09:18 PM
Just wanted to thank everyone again!!! They've now been home two days and are eating great!!! I made a beefheart mix last night and they have already eaten like 5 times today!! (don't worry I've done two water changes already :)

Tiara

bennyblanco
05-01-2006, 09:54 PM
nice,dont forget,more pics please!!!!:D :D

tiara1018
05-02-2006, 12:27 AM
Hey here are a few more pics.....You can see they are starting to get a little bit of color...turq....Will they get much more?

tiara1018
05-02-2006, 12:28 AM
I like to call this one...."The Chase"

tiara1018
05-02-2006, 12:29 AM
last one

azzndude2005
05-02-2006, 01:57 AM
It looks like they're in Rome.

tiara1018
05-02-2006, 02:10 AM
Lol....I just bought the cheapest decoration pet smart had....lol....its just my quarentine tank, I usually dont like the fakey stuff:)

Tiara